PDA

View Full Version : What statistics to track?

Costanza
10-14-2004, 12:42 PM
I've started working on an Access database to keep up with my SnG results. So far I've been keeping up with some obvious stuff -- the buy-in, position I placed, length of tournament and a notes field which I usually use to write down the hand I lost with or a general observation of the tournament.

I've seen some Excel spreadsheets which do all this already, but I've actually had fun writing my own, and it also seemed to me that once things are set up in Access that it would be a much more flexible way to analyze the data.

I've found that from this I can come up with a lot of statistics -- average position, ITM%, ROI. I haven't figured out how to come up with an hourly rate because I can't seem to get Access to give me an average time each tournament took, but that's just a matter of figuring out what I did wrong in setting up the database.

Anything else I should be tracking that would help me improve my game?

eastbay
10-14-2004, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've started working on an Access database to keep up with my SnG results. So far I've been keeping up with some obvious stuff -- the buy-in, position I placed, length of tournament and a notes field which I usually use to write down the hand I lost with or a general observation of the tournament.

I've seen some Excel spreadsheets which do all this already, but I've actually had fun writing my own, and it also seemed to me that once things are set up in Access that it would be a much more flexible way to analyze the data.

I've found that from this I can come up with a lot of statistics -- average position, ITM%, ROI. I haven't figured out how to come up with an hourly rate because I can't seem to get Access to give me an average time each tournament took, but that's just a matter of figuring out what I did wrong in setting up the database.

Anything else I should be tracking that would help me improve my game?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, spend $50 (or whatever) on poker tracker and stop wasting your time reinventing all those basic stats. You'll make it up in saved playing time immediately.

eastbay

sofere
10-14-2004, 12:55 PM
Or if you are not on a site that supports PokerTracker, PokerCharts.com is a free service that does exactly what your db does + more.