PDA

View Full Version : To sell myself or not to self myself...

Predator314
10-14-2004, 09:52 AM
Just wanted some an opinion on something from you guys.

In two weeks, there is a local No Limit Hold 'em tournament. The entry fee is $100 plus an optional $50 rebuy (only 1 allowed) which I would take immediately. So I'm forking over $150 for this tournament.

90% of the players in this tournament are just the casual card players/calling stations. You know the type. Well, last year, I caught some good cards and pretty much mowed over the field to win the tournament. I think the prize was a little over $6500.

So this year, I got a few guys wanting a piece of my action. Basically, they are wanting to put up my entry fee and get 1/2 of what I win. So I'm selling 50% of myself and this tournament will be a freeroll. I think I'm going to take the offer.

I just wanted your opinions. This is a SUPER soft game by the way. But, poker is poker and anything can happen.

** Edit **

I just wanted to add that $150 will not hurt my bankroll. It's not a huge amount of money to me right now.

Lurshy
10-14-2004, 10:11 AM
Don't know much about calculating EV and all, but this sounds like a no lose deal. You are essentially getting a freeroll, and past performance /guppy tank or not, your chances of winning back-back are slim.

willie
10-14-2004, 11:46 AM
Doesn't seem like a bad idea.

But consider if you take first again this year.

your saving 150 dollars is going to cost you approx 3500 (i'm assuming the field will be bigger, that's the recent trend)

It's up to you, if it's as soft as you say it is, then i would just pay the buyin myself and keep the spoils.

SossMan
10-14-2004, 01:04 PM
to calculate this deal you would have to make assumptions about your tourney expectation.

Let's say your expectation in this particular tourney is 2x buy in (very generous).

If you pay the buy in, you would expect to have a net +EV of $150.
($150*2)-$150 = $150.

If you let them pay the buy in, you will have an expectation of ($150*2)*.5 = $150.

It's the same...so, if you think you have an expectation over 2x your buy in (not likely), then the best move would be to pay the buy in. If your expectation is less than 2x buy in (more likely), you should take their offer.
If you don't give a flying Fcuk about the $150, then you should send me $75 for this analysis and all the help I provide on the MTT forum. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

address to follow

cferejohn
10-14-2004, 02:09 PM
If your bankroll can absorb this without noticing, I don't see any reason to sell yourself for something small like this. I wouldn't really consider selling any of myself for less than a $1000 buy-in. Your $$/hour is probably better paying the 150.

fnord_too
10-14-2004, 02:24 PM
Do the guys who want a piece of you have realistic expectations? That is, do they think they are definitely going to get money back here?

I would hate to sell a piece of myself to friends if I could afford not to unless they really understood what they were getting into. If they are fine losing $150, and you are fine passing up on half of what you cash, then I'd say go ahead. Otherwise, I would decline.

Punker
10-14-2004, 02:25 PM
I think the game would have to be incredibly soft for this to be a bad decision for you to take the offer.