PDA

View Full Version : Switching from LL to NL

04-16-2002, 04:01 PM
Can anyone point out the key differences to switching from a low-limit based playing style to playing No Limit?

04-17-2002, 12:18 AM

04-17-2002, 02:37 PM

04-17-2002, 02:56 PM
There are a lot of key differences, and a person like me who only plays hold'em can tell you that there is a great deal of difference. For instance, the pot was raised for $10 then I reraised and made it $20 to go, I had a pair of JJ in my hand, the flop came up 10 8 6, i checked intending for a check-raise, my opponnent went all in and i folded, He showed me a set of 10's, the difference in this game is also the AK, unless you are playing with 3-5 table game and 2 stay to see the flop then it becomes a big hand, if not, you need help on the flop, many good players will play pocket pairs and they follow the motto, NO SET, NO BET. it is a real blood bath. there is a lot of room for bluffing.

I for instance got knocked out of a no-limit game with a set of dueces on the flop the other guy had a set of Queens he made on the flop as well...

Basically in this GAME, you cannot be a caller, you have to be a BETTOR or RAISER, the only time you should call is if you are setting a trap.

You will notice it's a more nerve racking game, I suggest you but CHAMPIONSHIP NO-LIMIT & POT-LIMIT HOLD'EM by T.J. Cloutier. It's a great book.

04-17-2002, 03:08 PM

04-18-2002, 02:49 AM
An F-16 and a volkswagon both use fossil fuels.

They both are a form of transportation.

If you tried to drive either one the way you're supposed to drive the other, you would die horribly.

Basically, if you do something in a no limit game that is along the lines of what you'd do in a limit game, it's probably a mistake.

natedogg

nate-web@thegrovers.com

04-19-2002, 05:18 PM
Biggest difference -- WAY MORE FUN!

I played my first tournament on Tuesday and it was great even though my all-in with KK preflop was beat by ATs.

Here's the way I see it. Medium and small pocket pairs are great starting hands, and so are medium and small suited connectors. The big cards you normally want in Limit Holdem are no where near as profitable and can get you broke.

With the smaller cards you either catch a great flop or you don't. If the big cards you play in Limit holdem miss a No-Limit flop you often can make the mistake of thinking you still have a hand. They are MUCH harder to play, and in fact I don't even play any non-suited big cards besides AA, KK, and AK (I still play other pairs but only if I catch a set). This keeps me out of a lot of trouble. I'd rather have 86s than KQo.

Bluffing is a HUGE part of this game. You HAVE to be aggressive, and I pretty much bet everything I play, even my draws.

There seems to be 3 bet sizes. A small bet that is about double the size of the blinds or a little bigger. A pot sized bet, or a bet around 10% of your stack, and they both make the same statement. Then there is the All-in bet.

That medium sized bet seems to be the key. It says "Give me the pot or get ready to go all-in". Sometimes it is a bluff and sometimes its the real deal. FUN GAME!

I think position is WAY more important as well.

04-23-2002, 11:51 AM