PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with a maniac in a NL/PL game?

04-16-2002, 11:30 AM
How does one deal with a maniac type in a NL/PL game where he keeps making huge bets every other hand? Every PL/NL game I play in has a maniac type who makes lots of money.

04-16-2002, 06:04 PM
Just be patient, sooner or later he will bluff at the wrong time. Also, make sure to reraise enough so that you can isolate yourself against him.

Enrique

04-16-2002, 09:00 PM
> Every PL/NL game I play in has a maniac type who makes lots of money.

Loose aggressive is usually the most profitable style against weak and passive opposition - this alone is not manically, but simply good poker.

If he's a real maniac (those guys who often bluff-reraise, or continue to bet the pot with top-pair when they've been called all the way to the river), then (according to my experience) the best strategy is to stay out of their way (i.e. concede the pot OTF or on turn if he really wants it) unless you have a huge hand.

Once you've got your set and he's also got a part of the flop, just bet (when he's behind you) or call (when he bets in front of you) and then call him down when he invariably bets the pot on every street (and push the rest in on the river). You can also make this play with nut-draws (str8 draws work best b/c they are not so obvious as flush-draws) which has the additional benefit to reassure him of his play when you miss and fold on turn. - Against a real maniac, it's only a matter of time until his whole stack falls into your hand like a ripe apple.

Some ppl. will advocate to often reraise this guy with any decent holding, to eventually force him to slow down. In a cache game, I think that this is a mistake, b/c you'll get his stack anyway. Better play IMO is to use him as a raising station to trap other players, when you want to build a pot with your draws or when you hold a good but vulnerable hand and want the other pls. to pay off one bet before you take the pot down with a check-raise. This is also why i prefer to sit on the maniac's right b/c when he bets, you always have position over the field (again some ppl. will probably disagree here).

Also, when the money is very deep, you should often raise preflop with your drawing hands. Ideally, the avg. pot-size on the flop should be about 4% of the maniac's stack, so that 3 pot-sized bets would make him pot-stuck.

cu

Ignatius

04-17-2002, 10:11 AM

04-17-2002, 02:39 PM
I always let the others deal with him, i don't ever try to make it personal, because there are times you can get broke.

04-18-2002, 02:57 AM
He wasn't even close to being a maniac actually. His book advocates loose aggressive play but smart play nonetheless. A maniac is usually just a fool who likes to raise.

To beat a true maniac is quite simple. Nothing could be easier. Just wait. Wait wait wait until you flop a set, or wake up with aces. Then let him hang himself. It's that easy. I do it all the time. Any time I deviate from this strategy vs. a no limit maniac, I lose.

natedogg

nate-web@thegrovers.com

04-18-2002, 09:07 AM