PDA

View Full Version : A few quick tips?

04-12-2002, 02:23 AM
Hi all, I have decided to enter my first no limit tournament on saturday and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to play no limit /images/smile.gif Seriously though, I actually do have little knowledge in this area and I want to do the tournament as both a learning experience (it's a low buy in) and for fun. So, I only really need someone to give my the bare bones basics. What size would I make a basic raise? What would be the reasoning for putting in much smaller or much larger raises than this? When do I want to go all in? do I have to ditch more hands when I'm short stacked? I guess that's it for the basics. As for the rest, I have just ordered the Ciaffone & Rueben book. Maybe then I can attack with a purpose next time. Thanks for the advice.

04-12-2002, 06:50 AM
You definitely don't want to throw away more

hands when short- stacked; that way lies a diminution, or worse, the end of your stack altogether.

A good raise is to an amount three or four times the size of the big blind, as recommended

in the Cloutier/McEvoy book.One more point: if you raise to 4x the BB, one hand, keep your raise

there, don't move the raise around.As Cloutier

points out, this is likely to give away too much information.

You made a good start in getting the Ciaffone/Reuben book.It's the best of the ones I own.and from the views of many posters, I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Early on in any no- limit event, playing a patient, controlled game gets my vote,and given your lack of experience, it's likely the best choice. On the other hand, you're the only one who will know what works best for you, so don't be afraid to try!

One more note on raises: let's say you have six times the BB, and want to bring in those elusive pocket queens, or A-Q suited, for a raise.

In that case, it's considered correct to move in.

At the NL event in Foxwoods Wednesday, holding A-Q offsuit, I had about T700, with the blinds, 50-100; since the normal raise would involve more half my chips, I moved in, since any raise left me pot- committed.

Hope this helps a bit!

perfidious

04-12-2002, 07:30 AM
Your post would probably get more answers if it was posted in the tournament forum.

For your questions, from sombody who does not play well ( so dont believe me to much...)

If you always make pot size raises, you cant go to wrong.

If you are very short stacked (a few BB) you are pot stuck as soon as you enter the pot, so you want to raise all-in and win the blinds. You should make a move before you cant make a thretening raise.

Good luck,

tellus how it went

Gatlif