PDA

View Full Version : What can you possibly do?

04-12-2002, 12:24 AM
Live No limit Holdem game Blinds 10 - 20. Average stack around $20,000.

THE CAST:

Me - EP with $32, 000

MP with $42, 000

Button with $12, 000

I have AK suited and i have been playing only for about 15 minutes. I doubled up on the first hand i played. Some loose freak made a huge raise compared to the size of the blinds (he raised like $7000, so i just shoved everything in with AA. He called and he had KK. What an idiot???

Anyway back to the hand...

I come in with my normal raise and make it $80 to go. MP (a very loose fish, i think he is very wealthy) calls. Button (a solid player) also calls, now i have no idea what that means since i have only been in this game for about 15 minutes but i know for sure that everyone is solid to pro except offcourse the loose fish ( he has been hitting the flop very well).....

Flop comes 4AK rainbow. I bet the pot and now MP raises ALL IN?????

WHERE the hell am I???

Betting $42000 into only a couple of hundred. Anyway the button drops and i sit back and think for about 10 minutes.

MP - loose fish i have played with him before, i know that he can make moves at the pot with absolute trash. He knows that i am a very solid player who can sometimes be tricky, he knows that betting 42000 into a few hundred dollar pot can not be right under any circumstances yet he still does it....

I know that there is an EXCELLENT chance that i am ahead and he probably has an ace with a weak kicker or does he have AA, KK, 44. I know from all the time i played with him that he raises AA and KK preflop. What about 44?? That is certainly very possible. But how can he be sure that i dont have KK or AA. How can he be sure that he is not behind. Maybe he does have KK or AA but then again maybe he doesn't. Maybe he has nothing....

OK OK... How about any tells he seems natural.... he is moving around seems relaxed he is not stiff and i can see that he is breathing normally. He has a sip of his coffee, looks at me and then smiles. WHAT THE HELL does all that mean???

I dont have a lock, I muck.

Offcourse, he starts flashing Q10 offsuit and offcourse i nearly drop dead. He starts laughing as he takes down a few hundred dollar pot.

What can you possibly do??

Would you ever call in this situation or have you ever faced a situation that you know there is a very very very high chance that your ahead but you still dont take the risk cause you know that there is also a chance that your behind.

I talk too much crap...

-MJ

04-12-2002, 02:37 AM
Jesus. I can't comment with any authority because I've never been in a game even a tenth of that size. No, make that a twentieth that size. I would have folded, blushed and gone home with my head hung low, realising I was out of my league. So bearing that in mind and from what you know about the wacko you, not me, should have called.

Wouldn't he try to be a bit trickier to suck in at least a bit of your cash if he had the cards you were worried about? Like maybe raising it only $1000 and hoping for a reraise if holding a hand that beats you?

The odds are really against him having AA or KK. 44 is much more possible, as is AQ, KG, or even A4. Even a chance he has AK. I don't know, tough call at those stakes. Should it matter what the stakes are? Would you have called if a zero had been taken away from everybody's stack?

You bought in for $16k. Seems the question is, go home broke? go home with $16k profit? or go home with $32k (or more) profit? To take a shot, or not? If ever there's a time to take a shot it's now. Presumably the 16k buy-in isn't your whole bankroll.

But it sure would've been a bummer, as it turned out, if he'd snared the jack. Try not to dwell on this hand. Hope you didn't go on tilt after and lose your stack, especially to Mr. $42,200. How did the evening end?

04-12-2002, 04:25 AM
Hi Paul, thanks for comments. I was really pissed about what had happened, but then again i know that i can't take that risk at these stakes. No the 16k buyin is not my bankroll and its around about 2-3% of my entire lifetime bankroll, anyway. the evening went very well, i think tilt doesn't belong in my dictionary any more since i have been playing for a very very long time. End of the nigh i was up 30, 000 and Mr. 40,200 lost about half his stack (LOL!).

Cya around,

-MJ

Oh yeah if you want you can come and play in my game especially if you cant handle the stakes...

04-12-2002, 04:51 AM
Oh yeah if you want you can come and play in my game especially if you cant handle the stakes...

Not me friend. Like I said, any "advice" was purely given from somebody most happy to not be involved in that game. Your post, which I enjoyed reading, reconfirmed to me that I have no business in high stakes nl games. Correction, I have no business in any high stakes game at the moment. Congrats on the win. And I don't know why but I'm glad Mr 42.2 lost half his stack.

Did he make anymore big moves on you?

04-12-2002, 06:24 AM
Haha, you sound like a very funny guy. Each person has his own limits about stakes, me i really dont care i would play for a million if i had that much money to risk (lol). Oh yes the bitch did make another move at me this time i was slowplaying a monster haha.

I had 34 spades in the BB when Mr. 42 200 raised from MP to 60. His raise was very small compared to the blinds, so i called in the BB. Flop comes 442. I check he bets the pot, at this time i put him on a pair 99 or higher but he could also have a pair of eights and i know that he would never raise with 77 or lower (played with him before). Anyway... i call and check the turn when the case 4 hits. Now i am sitting their with quads and i am about to piss my pants but i manage to hold it in. I check and he bets the pot, now i am sure that he has a pair in the whole, I raise him the pot. He looks at me for about a minute then says i think my Aces are very very good. Now i know he is lying. He doesn't have aces he probably has a pair of Jacks or Tens from what i can tell. Anyway.. he just calls and calls the river when i bet another $6000 into him .. It was a very nice pot and a bit of payback. I overbet the pot because i know that he is very weak and always thinks that when someone overbets the pot he is weak and is trying to steal so i just used his knowledge against him and abit of a reverse tell and taught the bitch who is boss haha.

Moral of the story...i won big, taught the fish a lesson, oh yeah never slowplay anything less than quads lol.

Take care,

-MJ

04-12-2002, 01:47 PM
End of the nigh i was up 30, 000 and Mr. 40,200 lost about half his stack (LOL!).

Now, when you say things like this, I think this has to be made up. Anyone that plays like that would have lost his WHOLE stack /images/smile.gif

But seriously. If he wants that $200 that bad, I guess you gotta give it too him. The quads hand you mention further down the post is where you nail him to the wall. Let him have this piddly pot and encourage him to push it in later when you have the mortal nuts.

Treefrog

04-13-2002, 04:35 PM
be thankful he makes such moves and wait till you have 1st or 2nd nut (not 4th) and take him down town.