PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 Pot Limit HE Hand

04-11-2002, 06:03 PM
How would you have played this hand?? I'm in seat 5 (Flats Tire) $144, KIngeuro is the SB $144

Flat Tire calls $2.

numexjim calls $2.

Texas1 folds.

kingeuro raises $11.

Toffeeman folds.

john14 calls $10.

Flat Tire calls $10.

numexjim folds.

flop card: Kh

flop card: 5s

flop card: 7s

kingeuro bets $40.

john14 folds.

Flat Tire raises to $122.25, goes all-in.

kingeuro calls $82.25.

turn card: Tc

river card: Ac

Flat Tire shows 5c 5h.

Flat Tire has 5c 5h Kh 5s Ac: three fives.

kingeuro shows 7c 7h.

kingeuro has 7c 7h Kh 7s Ac: three sevens.

#11248-1475: kingeuro wins $281.50 with three sevens.

After the flop, I put him on AA or AK spades.

Should I have mucked preflop?? How would you have played it?? Oh, he had only been at table 10 minutes. All replys are appreciated, Thanks

04-11-2002, 10:42 PM
Your preflop call was fine given the amount he bet and the stack sizes.

Your flop bet was also fine. Going all-in at that point was what you wanted anyway. Without knowing your opponent you had to call.

Set over set on the flop is rare. In that situation one's supposed to either win or lose a lot of money.

04-11-2002, 10:50 PM
Nothing wrong with anything you did- you were just in one of those rare situations. Fortunately, most of the time you hit a flop like this you will be in the lead with your set.

04-11-2002, 11:35 PM
I probably would have played the hand as you did, but IMO the preflop play is not as clear-cut as it would seem.

> Should I have mucked preflop??

To call with a small pocket pair after one limper is standard play (unless you knew that it would get raised behind you most of the time). When it got raised by the SB, your overcall is probably OK, but it's close.

Your chances to flop a set are about 11% (1:7.6). Your call is break-even, when you expect to win $76 when you flop your set.

Against 2 opponents, let's assume you succeed to get called for your whole stack 3/4 of the time and just win the $40 pot 1/4 of the time. Often, your opponent will have outs against you so it's safe to assume that your set will not hold up 1/5 of the times when you get played with.

The problem is that, since kingeuro raised from the blinds, there is a good chance that he holds an overpair to your fives, in which case there's a chance of 1:12 that he also flopped a set when you did, in which case you're dead to one out. So in this case, you better expect that your set won't hold up 1/4 of the times you get played with.

So when you flop your set, you can expect to win

EV = 1/4*$30+9/16*$162-3/16*$132 = $74

for you $10 investment, so only the chance to get some additional money from the 3rd player and those rare cases where you can win the pot w/o a set or get a free turn make this a marginal call.

> After the flop, I put him on AA or AK spades.

If you knew that he would muck AKo in this situation for $82 more, then you should have folded preflop to his raise (no implied odds here) but should make a mental note to often raise with draws in this situation.

cu

Ignatius