PDA

View Full Version : PLO Trouble Hands - Online

04-10-2002, 04:19 PM
Dabbled a bit in the online Pot Limit Omaha games.

Here are two hands that made me hum and haw at the time, but seem a bit more clear cut on reflection.

It's 9-handed, with $0.50/$1 blinds and I haven't been sitting very long, so don't know much of any of the opponents in either case, except a few seem to be playing a bit loose. I have a bit less than $200, with most others on around $100 or so.

Hand 1: KsQs8s6c in the BB. First 3 fold, a call, a raise to $2, fold, call, the SB and myself call. We're 5 handed and the flop comes 7d3s2c. Checked around. Turn 7d3s2c9s. SB bets $10, I raise to $30. All fold back to SB who raises another $60 all-in....hmmmm, open ender and second nut flush draw for 2-1 on my money. I call and win with a small spade on the river vs the SB's set of 2's with no back-up.

Fold preflop for $1? Just call the turn bet, or fold, or raise? Call the turn raise? My feeling is I put too much $$ at risk with a trouble hand and should probably have mucked to the first turn bet.

Hand 2: A bit later in the SB I pick up Qd9d6s2d and am allowed to hobble in for the minimum for a 5-handed flop of KsTd5d. Here is where I throw away money by checking and calling the BB's $5 bet after 2 other callers - only to catch the Jd on the turn. I check, BB checks, check, $24 bet from the button. I have 3rd flush made with 2 outs to a straight flush and call, thinking the button's likely stealing. Now UTG springs to life and check-raises all-in for $52 more. Not sure what to make of this, since he didn't show life on the 2-diamond flop....hmmmm... I deliberate whether to call with the 3rd flush, but decide he's probably be making this move with something worthwhile and fold. Did I save myself $52 - or blow a chance to pick up $150 with my hand.

Thanks for all opinions. Feel free to flame; I don't consider myself an expert at PLO.

graham

04-10-2002, 11:28 PM
> I don't consider myself an expert at PLO.

OK, so as another non-expert, here are my 2c:

Hand 1)

> Fold preflop for $1?

I probably wouldn't have been able to resist calling here, too. But I would certainly have folded for the $10 turn bet. You only have 5 nut-outs here and put yourself up to lose serious money to a better str8 or the nut flush.

Hand 2)

> flop of KsTd5d.

Again, I probably would have made the preflop-call, too for $0.5, but there's no way I'd shell out an additional $5 to chase a 3-outer. Of course, you got the worst possible turn with the Jd, but with 3 opponents who payed a pot-sized raise to stay in the hand, you should still have an easy laydown with 3rd flush and only two nut-outs.

cu

Ignatius

04-11-2002, 03:56 PM
Thanks Ignatius,

Both fairly clear folds in hindsight I think (btw, forgot to mention in hand 2, the original turn bettor was trying to buy the pot from the button and folded to the raise, leving it me and the c-raiser).

Anyway, no wonder such hands are called trouble hands; you get in, see the kind of flop you might hope for, and then get driven off the pot or end up putting chips in and feeling sick about it when there's any action other than yours. Good learning for me....the nuts, man, the nuts.

G