PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Beltran

MarkL444
10-13-2004, 09:12 PM
He is gonna get PAID this offseason.

nolanfan34
10-13-2004, 09:16 PM
Ol' George will be opening the checkbook to make sure that happens. He's a very good player.

ThaSaltCracka
10-13-2004, 09:20 PM
I really think he will resign with Houston.

andyfox
10-14-2004, 01:31 AM
OPS's generally in the low .900 range; he would be in the top 10 or 15 hitters in either league. I heard Steinbrenner is very interested, what with Bernie Williams in the twilight of his career. Dodgers could sure use him too.

Michael Davis
10-14-2004, 01:34 AM
I'm guessing the Brewers are due to sign a big name player.

-Michael

Clarkmeister
10-14-2004, 01:40 AM
"Dodgers could sure use him too. "

The question is what is the Dodger payroll goal? I think they are happy with Werth, Izturis and Weaver. They are stuck with Green and Bradley. They are forced to re-sign Beltre and it would be a PR nightmare to not re-sign Gagne.

That leaves them needing to fill in a CF, 2B (cora?) and C, along with rebuilding the starting pitching staff. 2B and C should come cheap, so they'll spend their cash on CF and pitching. I just don't know how much they will have left over after doing the mandatory moves involving Gagne and Beltre, and the ridiculous Green contract they are stuck with. I'd guess Beltran is a rank longshot, but Finley might be retainable.

Sooga
10-14-2004, 01:43 AM
That ain't even the half of it... he's only 27!!

ThaSaltCracka
10-14-2004, 01:45 AM
I think Seattle might make a move at Beltre, I hope they do atleast. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

wayabvpar
10-14-2004, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think Seattle might make a move at Beltre, I hope they do atleast. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They will do what they always do- make a half-hearted offer that they know is inadequate, then sign some roadkill instead. "Well, we tried..."

nolanfan34
10-14-2004, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They will do what they always do- make a half-hearted offer that they know is inadequate, then sign some roadkill instead. "Well, we tried..."

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been some articles lately that indicate that management is aware of this fact, and that they know "we tried" won't be good enough for the season ticket holders. What I think will happen though is they'll only sign one name player, instead of the 2 or 3 that they can afford.

They've had some good analysis of this here. (http://www.ussmariner.com) It's a M's blog that includes writing from two of the Baseball Prospectus guys who happen to be M's fans.

ThaSaltCracka
10-14-2004, 01:25 PM
dude, thanks for the link!

wayabvpar
10-14-2004, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dude, thanks for the link!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto....great link! Hot stove is all we have to look forward to during the playoffs.

nolanfan34
10-14-2004, 02:22 PM
I'm telling you guys, spend the $40 and get a Baseball Prospectus subscription too....it's worth it for the offseason coverage, let alone the in season coverage. Plus you get to read some amazing stuff from 2+2's own Nate tha' Great.

ThaSaltCracka
10-14-2004, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Plus you get to read some amazing stuff from 2+2's own Nate tha' Great.

[/ QUOTE ] what??? Why doesn't he post more in here? My guess, we know more than him /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

$40 is a lot of money though. But that link is golden man.

nolanfan34
10-14-2004, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Plus you get to read some amazing stuff from 2+2's own Nate tha' Great.

[/ QUOTE ] what??? Why doesn't he post more in here? My guess, we know more than him /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably for the same reason I don't post in the politics section. Leave work at work.

ThaSaltCracka
10-14-2004, 02:43 PM
do you work for the governor?

nolanfan34
10-14-2004, 02:57 PM
No. And I'm not going to say anyway.

Even though you claim you don't want to spend the $40, check out this article (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=3560) from Will Carroll, who does the injury analysis for BP. Some interesting info about Schilling's ankle.

ThaSaltCracka
10-14-2004, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No. And I'm not going to say anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha.....

I'll check out that article man.

ThaSaltCracka
10-14-2004, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even though you claim you don't want to spend the $40, check out this article (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=3560) from Will Carroll, who does the injury analysis for BP. Some interesting info about Schilling's ankle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't want to pay 40.

The most interesting segment in there(atleast to me) was: Jon Lieber looked great last night, making the Yankees decision to sign him prior to a season he would miss completely look even better. The Yankees may not hold this edge long, as other teams are beginning to see the value in deals that cover a Tommy John rehab. They still are the only team with Mark Littlefield, so they have that going for them. Give the Yankees Tampa rehab staff some credit for last night's win.

How could GM's and front offices not know this? I can't remember exactly who it was(I think Appier?) who came back from TJ surgery and he looked sharp. I had heard that players come back stronger and healthier after this surgery probably 1-2 years ago. Moneyball be damned, the Yankees truely are ahead of the game(Cashman is underrated as well, IMO).

bugstud
10-14-2004, 03:50 PM
it usually takes power pitchers about 18 months to be fully healthy. Other picthers seem to be possible of recovering in roughly 12 months.

ThaSaltCracka
10-14-2004, 03:57 PM
yeah, it takes about a year for them to heal, and in some ways it is a future investment(so some teams financially speaking can't do this with ease), but I really think the track record is there for that surgery.

ftball0000
10-14-2004, 04:16 PM
Prospectus is awesome... they have amazing articles and it is updated daily during the season. Well worth the money, and so is their book they put out.

For Beltran, I can't wait to see him in pinstripes next season.

Also did anyone else love the organ player, getting the crowd going with the "who's your daddy" chant, hilarious

-Ftball

ThaSaltCracka
10-14-2004, 04:43 PM
prospectus is awesome, especially the free articles /images/graemlins/smile.gif

as a Yankee fan I would both love and hate to see Beltran in pinstripes, and the organ was hilarious.

cjromero
10-14-2004, 05:26 PM
Based on some inside info I have from someone who works for the Astros, the story is that Beltran told Scott Boras in August that he wanted to re-sign with the Astros. When Boras told him he needed to get max value on the open market rather than give the Astros any discount, Beltran reportedly decided to fire Boras.

On one of the homestands in September, Boras flew to Houston and managed to keep Beltran as a client. The Astros clearly have the inside track on getting him back.

Beltran has apparently told the Astros that he won't re-sign unless the team also locks up Berkman, who is eligible for arbitration in 2005. He also supposedly would like to see Biggio's option picked up.

doughhater
10-14-2004, 05:44 PM
How does this lineup sound for next year's Yankee's?

Jeter
Beltran
A-Rod
Sheffield
Matsui
Garciaparra
Giambi
Posada
Sierra/Williams

I can see the Yanks not only getting Beltran, but convincing Nomar to play second base as well. It would be a ridiculous pile of talent that would be simply unstoppable.

ThaSaltCracka
10-14-2004, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Garciaparra
Giambi

[/ QUOTE ]
Yuck.

nolanfan34
10-14-2004, 05:55 PM
There is absolutely no way Nomar would ever sign with them. Not for all the money in the world. He couldn't handle the Boston media, there's no way he wants to be in NY. I'd bet my poker bankroll on that.

He's a west coast guy, and if he doesn't resign with the Cubs, look for the Angels to make a run at him. San Fran could be a possibility as well.

wayabvpar
10-14-2004, 07:53 PM
Nomar is just the type of crippled, over the hill SS the Mariners love (see Aurilia, Rich). I will personally punch Bavasi in the nuts if he ends up here- unless Beltre, Beltran, and Clement are already here.

I'll be over here, holding my breath.

Michael Davis
10-14-2004, 08:49 PM
This guy is sick.

-Michael

ThaSaltCracka
10-14-2004, 09:04 PM
I really don't think the M's will go after Nomar, why you might ask? Cheap ass young player named Jose Lopez. Let's see, 20 year old cheap as [censored] player, or old broken expensive player.

You might be right wayabvpar /images/graemlins/tongue.gif