PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for Red Sox fans

nolanfan34
10-13-2004, 06:22 PM
This ain't good. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2004/news/story?id=1901311)

junkmail3
10-13-2004, 06:27 PM
Can he still fight?

nolanfan34
10-13-2004, 06:34 PM
Well, with a limp, but sure, I bet he's game for that.

ThaSaltCracka
10-13-2004, 06:55 PM
do they even want him to pitch?

nolanfan34
10-13-2004, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
do they even want him to pitch?

[/ QUOTE ]

Therein lies the dilemna. I think they'd probably be better off just shutting him down for the ALCS at least, so mentally they can prepare for the challenge of pitching without him IMO. But I think playing it by ear is dangerous, because it's going to be hard to get a true evaluation of what he can do when you're talking about a "gamer" like Curt.

This diagnosis though does give them the "out" with the fans that would allow them to sit him. I think it would have been a tough sell to Sox fans, if it was still only diagnosed as tendonitis.

It's certainly an interesting wrinkle for the rest of the series, to see how Epstein and Francona decide to handle it.

craig r
10-13-2004, 07:17 PM
I am a pretty big boston fan, and I don't think he should pitch that hurt. I think (of course can be wrong) that they should start getting Lowe ready. He did a great job last year and even though he is psychologically damaged this year, they might be able to remind him how good he was last year in the post season. I would rather see Lowe pitch than wakefield. Maybe they can get schilling doped up enough in his ankle that he could get 3 outs if needed.

It was obvious he was hurt last night. They should have pulled him sooner. Screw what the fans think. Most likely if they pull him, there wouldn't have been as many runs given up.

craig