PDA

View Full Version : First Multi

SeesTheRiver
10-13-2004, 05:53 PM
Hey i am about to do my first multitable tournament on party poker. I am pretty decent in the 10 and 5 dollar SNG so i thought i would give this a try...any suggestions for me on what game i should play and or strategies...thanks

SossMan
10-13-2004, 06:28 PM
Unlike SnGs, the best MTT strategy is to not have a strategy and to allow your cards to dictate your image and react appropriately.

cferejohn
10-13-2004, 07:20 PM
What SossMan is saying, I think, is to be aware of the image created early in the tournament. If you get alot of good hands and are raising alot, be aware that other players are going to see you as loose, and so on.

Bear in mind that the structure will advance much more slowly than a sit-n-go. Don't start getting over-aggressive too early. By and large though, you're looking to do similar things. Get as many +EV situations as you can.

Keep in mind that whereas SnGs pay 30-33% of the players (depending on whether it is a 9 or 10 person table), multis pay roughly 10%, so you are generally going to be less likely to cash, so don't get discouraged if you don't cash very soon. Try to pay more attention to the quality of your decisions. In particular take note of whether you end up in big all-in hands with when ahead, behind, or in a "coin flip" (use the hand analyzer at twodimes.net if you are not sure). If you are tending to get the chips in when ahead more often than not, don't worry about the inevitable losing streaks, they will happen in multi's alot. Keep playing your best game, and you will win more than you lose.

Just keep in mind that the "price" you pay for the limited liability of tournaments (you are risking $10 or $20 for a chance to win 2-3K or more) is that the vast majority of the time, you are going to do everything right and lose anyway.