PDA

View Full Version : Omaha High Hand

04-05-2002, 07:48 PM
Cards have been running over me the past few weeks.

8 handed 5-10 NL Omaha high. I deal myself Ks-Kh-7s-4s. I've got about $3,000 in chips.

Aggessive Old Vet (AOV), with about $4,000, makes a common UTG raise to $100. Called by The Mullet who has $400, myself, and the BB, who has $1700.

Should I have raised before the flop? My image is that of a tight, selectively aggressive player.

Flop comes 4c-5d-Kc.

BB checks. AOV makes a play at the pot for $150. Called by The Mullet.

What should I do and why?

gcgang

04-06-2002, 02:01 AM
I may be wrong on this, but I wouldn't raise

before the flop- if an ace comes, you'll regret

it, and may subject yourself to a reraise if one of your opponents has aces in the pocket.

On the flop, I'd overbet the pot to charge any draws the maximum amount;Mullet is pot-bound, so he'll certainly call all-in. $1500 seems like

a good amount here.

04-07-2002, 03:21 AM
I don't think your hand is strong enough to warrant a reraise preflop.

With top set you have a powerful holding. A bet of between 1,000 and 1,500 is about right. If someone is in with mid-small cards and has a wrap straight plus a club draw you must charge a large price.

-Zeno

04-07-2002, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the confirm that the hand was too weak to raise preflop.

Your opinions to raise $1000-$1500 I think is the right play. Of course, that's not what I did. Here's what happened.

I'm thinking, the objective is to win BIG pots. How can I get AOV all in?

After I flopped top set, I considered smooth calling. If I do this, maybe they'll put me on a draw, and if the board pairs, I'll get another big bet from someone, either from AOV trying to steal, or overbetting a lower full house (a foolish mouse, as we call it).

But I brain-farted. Decided to raise. But raised $300. Idiot. The BB calls $450. AOV folds. Mullet, pot committed is in.

This is, upon just a little reflection, very wrong. Now I've set myself up to have a tough decision to make. If any straight card, or any club comes, the BB can bet about $1200, making me throw my hand away, most likely.

As it ended up, the board paired a 4, making me the stone cold nuts to a one outer 5 (if someone help trip 5's). BB checked, I bet $800. He folded.

I probably made another mistake betting $800. A check, or another seemingly stupid $200-300 bet would have been better.

I really appreciate reading everyone's comments, and thought processes, on this and other posts. Although this hand is another example of it's better to be lucky than good, maybe someday I'll be good as well as lucky.