PDA

View Full Version : NL $100: Commerce vs Bike

BullChip
10-13-2004, 04:02 PM
Compare and contrast anyone? I know a lot of the factors DEPEND on players, time, etc.

I'm asking for in general..

Rick Nebiolo
10-15-2004, 06:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Compare and contrast anyone? I know a lot of the factors DEPEND on players, time, etc.

I'm asking for in general..

[/ QUOTE ]

I work at the Bike as a NL host among other things so if you want a little info (actually excruciating detail) search this subforum on my username and cross with "bike nl". I'd normally post the link to the search results I just got but for some reason a link to the list of search results doesn't work.

Generally, the Commerce will have more games but the Bike has plenty of games too. For example, tonight there were five $100 fixed buy games, one (for a while two) $200 fixed buy game(s), and at one point two $500 (no max buy) games. My guess is you will find the comfort level very high at the Bike.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't post a response earlier and would be curious to hear some other opinions.

Regards,

Rick

Dominic
10-15-2004, 08:26 PM
Haven't tried the Commerce NL tables, but I'm a regular at the Bike, and let me say the NL games there are VERY sweet. It seems 90% of the players really have no clue about NL and are there to have fun. They make the $50 NL games on UB look tight.

Example:

I buy in for $100...have it up to $120...get QQ in EP...rasie it to $10...get one call and the BB (loose, action player) re-raises $20 more. I call without a thought (in a normal game I'd seriously consider laying the QQ down here) and the other guy also calls...flop comes J high. I bet $30...get a call from the one guy and Mister Loose Action Player goes all-in. I have to call now with what's in the pot and what I have left...surprisingly, the other guy calls, too. The turn's a K (damn!) and the river's a 2.

I turn over my QQs...Loose guy turns over AJ (no, really!) and the OTHER guy turns over 9-10. He had a backdoor straight, I guess.

I shook my head and collected my chips.

And that's a NORMAL hand...lots of raising and re-raising with LIMIT hands like KJ, A10, etc. If you just play solid poker, value bet your big hands and don't try to be tricky, you can pick up some nice change at the Bike. I know I do.

Rick Nebiolo
10-17-2004, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the response.

[ QUOTE ]
It seems 90% of the players really have no clue about NL and are there to have fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though I work there as a host sometimes I think I'm in the 90% (but working isn't quite as much fun as coming and going as you please) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ Rick

Seputro
10-17-2004, 08:51 PM
I play at the Bike. Used to play about 10-15 hours a week during the summer but now that I'm back in school, it's only about 5-6 hours a week at the most total, half at Bike, half at Commerce.

If there were more tables at Bike, I would play there exclusively but I don't like being recognized by too many people. The games are very nice, usually loose passive with 1 or 2 LAGs at both Commerce and Bike.

I like the Bike more because I don't feel as cramped. And the best thing, free food! And i must admit I'm very partial toward the bike with hitting 2 jackpots there.

The new decks at the Bike are kind of weird. A rough paper like quality with dull red.

Bottom line: Quality of games are the same at both. Atmosphere and free food at Bike a plus.

Rick Nebiolo
10-18-2004, 04:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The new decks at the Bike are kind of weird. A rough paper like quality with dull red.

[/ QUOTE ]

The new decks are from Gemaco. They seem to jam up less in the shuffle machines then the old decks from A Plus. They also seem to be more resistant to the "dents" near the middle from normal card handling (i.e., pressing down the cards with your fingers and bending up the corners with your thumb in order to both protect and see your hand).

I agree the reds are dull but to a certain extent this is an advantage - it is somewhat more difficult to see the suit of an accidentally flashed card. I believe this was the major disadvantage of the four color deck Mike Caro was pushing a few years back.

Would appreciate any more feedback on the Gemaco cards, but maybe it would be better in a new thread.

~ Rick