PDA

View Full Version : How much did I miss on this lovely flop??

bigfishead
10-13-2004, 12:34 PM
Horseshoe Tunica 20-40. Huge fishyness. 1 solid player directly to my left, 1 "move maker" to his left, 3 calling stations, 1 mediocre LP, 1 med tight passive, and myself.
I'm the one that has seen one flop (a BB) in 4 rounds, and just 3 hands ago they saw my only hand, AA, and a flop of A22. So here is the hand in question, poorly played initally possibly.

I am UTG with AQo...I anounce "LIMP". the entire field of 7 behuind limp along to the BB who raises. I flat call as does the full field of 8. I didnt raise preflop UTG because I felt I had shown too much "rocklike" and now I will most certainly pay for it as my chances are slim against 7 others.

Flop: QQ6 rainbow. OK, not bad for me.

Checked to me, I decide unlike normal where I would bet out and get extensive action as nobody believes I would bet a Q, that with 8 players we should at least get some late position action. But it got checked around.

Turn: 7h (2 hearts on board) This time I bet, solid guy behind me calls, I figure him on 88-99 specifically, slight chance of heart draw. "Make a move" raises, the field clears, I decide to 3 bet as I am sure "make a move" will call, as he has a queen-rag, and solid guy looks like he will muck anyways.

So my hand is good, I bet the river and get called. 15BB pot. about a normal pot around here. But I cant help but think I left 4-8 bets on the table, not betting out on the flop. So often these people will chase to get a draw on the flop when the pot is that big. So maybe I am thinking wrong that my "rocklike image" will thin out dramatically. This could be a major leak in my play. Yet it does allow my to bluff-raise occasionally to take down those 4-6 bet pots.

So many different thoughts on this hand. I also feel the "make a move" would have ONLY smooth called the flop, which brings in more players, this is both profitable and dangerous. But pot manipulation (big bet on turn) is in my thinking too. so I have "reasons for this", "reasons for that".

Funny thing is, I cant remember the last time I limped from UTG with an AQ.

onegymrat
10-13-2004, 01:45 PM
Hi bigfishead,

I don't think your played was flawed whatsoever. You have a rainbow board, with no real draws, so slowplaying here would certainly be preferred. However, with six or seven players to act behind you, and with the fishy game in which you described, you are bound to be called by a couple of players, or even raised by a lower queen, pocket pair, etc, at which you could 3-bet and so forth. Because of the number of players to act behind you, I would have bet the flop and play accordingly. The turn doubling the bet makes it very unattractive for callers unless they turn a strong draw. Hey, it could have been worse. Some fool could of had pocket sevens or something and made you pay.

SossMan
10-13-2004, 06:48 PM
I don't really understand your explanation of a lack of preflop raise.

On the flop I would do the standard bet out flop, call any raise, check raise the turn.

bigfishead
10-14-2004, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really understand your explanation of a lack of preflop raise.

On the flop I would do the standard bet out flop, call any raise, check raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wanting a "little" bit more action with my hand initally preflop and felt I may not get any action with a preflop raise. Yet it is such a loose game I thought it possible too that it could build too big a pot and if I hit part of the flop, players would be getting correct odds to call. Kinda lame I know. But on the deception side it would also allow me to have a stronger than advertised hand for max post-flop value.

As for the standard bet the flop, call a raise, check raise the turn, I agree. This would be a more normal plan of attack. This whole hand played out oddly from the norm for me. Maybe I just had a brain fart. Or possibly, since I have not gotten any cards I was trying to save a bet preflop in case of a miss. Pretty stupid. Playing scared almost. Just one of those weird hands that when the fog cleared I "finished it off" properly.