PDA

View Full Version : deluded

M2d
10-13-2004, 11:57 AM
a woman, not named Annika, Se Re, Grace or Michelle is going to PGA Q-school. She's 79th on the LPGA money list, has only one top ten in 24 events (T7), and has missed her last five cuts. She's also 8th on the LPGA driving list at 265.6 yards. She thinks she has a good shot at it because she's been in position to putt for eagle on LPGA par 5's and because golf is mostly mental.
She could have just written me a check if she didn't want that $4500.

http://sports.yahoo.golfserv.com/gdc/news/article.asp?Source=YAHOO&id=28181

nolanfan34
10-13-2004, 12:05 PM
This quote from the article is the best:

[ QUOTE ]
``I'm going to keep trying to qualify until I do make it,'' Beisiegel said from her home in Norman, Okla., where she played college golf for the Sooners. ``My chances are very good.''

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the people I work with defines insanity as doing the same thing over and over the same way and expecting a different result. I think she qualifies.

ThaSaltCracka
10-13-2004, 12:16 PM
good luck to her. I personally don't like womens sports at all, but the mere idea of women competing with men on the golf courses amuses me, in a good way. It would be cool if there were 100 men and 100 women in an event, just to see who would end up where.

kerssens
10-13-2004, 12:30 PM
I'd like to see a man compete in the LPGA

nolanfan34
10-13-2004, 12:35 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think we will see women eventually competing with men in golf. It just won't be THIS woman, who is crazy. If she can barely make the top ten in an LPGA event, she has no chance of making it through Q-School, where you have to shoot a pretty good string of rounds in the 60s.

I do think someone like Michelle Wie could certainly end up qualifying for the Masters someday, or making a good run through Q school. The main advantage the men have is distance, but if Wie can drive the ball 300 yards, then a lot of that advantage is gone. And she's only 15? Imagine what she'll be doing when she's 18.

M2d
10-13-2004, 12:39 PM
not to be the overly sexist pig that I am, but Michelle Wie being 15 may actually help her in driving distance. she hasn't, um, filled out yet. I'd think growing a nice set may hurt her, distance wise.

ThaSaltCracka
10-13-2004, 12:45 PM
she is asian though, and a tall asian at that, so its not likely that she grows big knockers.

Oski
[ QUOTE ]
a woman, not named Annika, Se Re, Grace or Michelle is going to PGA Q-school. She's 79th on the LPGA money list, has only one top ten in 24 events (T7), and has missed her last five cuts. She's also 8th on the LPGA driving list at 265.6 yards. She thinks she has a good shot at it because she's been in position to putt for eagle on LPGA par 5's and because golf is mostly mental.
She could have just written me a check if she didn't want that $4500.

http://sports.yahoo.golfserv.com/gdc/news/article.asp?Source=YAHOO&id=28181

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't overlook the fact it could be a publicity stunt. Just a little recognition could boost her endorsements.

ThaSaltCracka
yeah I agree with you.

nolanfan34
10-13-2004, 12:47 PM
That's possible. But Tim Herron can drive the ball a long way. So can Laura Davies. Wie's golf development reminds me about reading about Arnold Palmer growing up. He was taught to crush the ball first, and refined the rest of his game later.

With Wie I think she's young enough that her iron and short game can always develop as she grows older. Even if she loses a little distance, she'll be hitting it, what, 280? 290?

In the latest issue of Golf Magazine, Fred Funk talks about how he was taught accuracy from the beginning, which molded what type of swing he made. He said he wishes he had developed a swing for distance instead.

nolanfan34
10-13-2004, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't overlook the fact it could be a publicity stunt. Just a little recognition could boost her endorsements.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's the only rational explanation, but she sounds serious in her quotes. If it is just a PR stunt, it's a poor one, because she's a no name to begin with, and would be better off working on her game instead of trying to compete against men. Reminds me of Jan Stephenson trying to play in some Nationwide event or the like. The collective golf world went "yawn".

Oski
10-13-2004, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's the only rational explanation, but she sounds serious in her quotes. If it is just a PR stunt, it's a poor one, because she's a no name to begin with, and would be better off working on her game instead of trying to compete against men. Reminds me of Jan Stephenson trying to play in some Nationwide event or the like. The collective golf world went "yawn".

[/ QUOTE ]

Nationwide, sure ... nobody knows her. But endorsements can still be significant. Have you ever gone to an obscure sports event, like JetSki racing? All those competitors have endorsements. Its a head scratcher, but I am sure this lady has nothing to lose.

M2d
10-13-2004, 05:26 PM
You gotta have a name first to get any recognition. No one's gonna give her a big contract for signing up for school. You gotta at least qualify for nationwide (in her case),I think, for the endorsement money to start coming in.

ThaSaltCracka
10-13-2004, 05:30 PM
I am sure Vagasil would sign her up regardless.

daryn
10-13-2004, 07:26 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
she is asian though, and a tall asian at that, so its not likely that she grows big knockers.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree, not likely, but possible. my friends wife is chinese and she has the biggest cans ever.

Oski
10-13-2004, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You gotta have a name first to get any recognition. No one's gonna give her a big contract for signing up for school. You gotta at least qualify for nationwide (in her case),I think, for the endorsement money to start coming in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never said anything about a "big contract." She's already on the LPGA .. any little extra exposure would help. I can't imagine she will come out losing on this one.