PDA

View Full Version : Too anxious to play, improve and move up

MyssGuy
10-13-2004, 11:48 AM
This is my unofficial first post, so I'll make a quick intro. I've been playing for a few years on/off, but have become a big study of Holdem in the past 18 months. In April, I received a free $20 to return to Party after a long absence. In 4 months, I turned that original $20 to nearly $2000. This was accomplished by focusing on .5/1 limit, then up to 1/2 when my bankroll hit 300BB. A few re-load bonuses helped.

In June/July, I started playing NL SnGs. Had some early success that pushed my bankroll up quickly. By September, I felt very confident in my SnG game and became bored with the grind of limit games. I tried to make Sept a big month and focus on SnG games. My early success turned on me. I started with some bad beats which turned into tilt. After much review, I found I became too aggressive and fell into FPS. Sept was my first lossing month, all good runs come to an end. But I lost 1/4 of my BR.

I learned to leave SnG alone until I got my tilt under control. However, I discovered Short-Handed games and again found early success with an aggressive strategy. Unfortunately that changed.

I've come to the realization that I need to go back to the grind of 2/4 limit (full ring) and get my bankroll back to where I want it. However, leaving the SnG and SH games, I lose the feeling of action. Yes, I'm an action junkie. I know I got to where I'm at by grinding it out at the lower limit tables til my BR got higher.

So my post/question/comments are: how or do I try to satisfy the action in me or do I grind out the 2/4 tables and move up? I feel that once I hit the 5/10 limit, the ups and downs in winnings ($$) will satisfy me. Playing for 3 hours at 2/4 and winning $25 just doesn't feel as satisfying as it used to. But maybe when I get to 5/10, I won't feel the same there with a $100 win.

Has anyone else gone through this and how do you manage, stay focused and continue to enjoy the game? Personally, I think I need to let the action out in some fashion, but without costing myself hours of work building my BR.

Thanks for letting me vent.....

uuDevil
10-13-2004, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So my post/question/comments are: how or do I try to satisfy the action in me or do I grind out the 2/4 tables and move up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, have you tried playing multiple tables to alleviate boredom? If not, try adding 1 at a time-- it takes some getting used to. I only play 2 and that's plenty for me.

Edit: Welcome to the forum. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bonanz
10-13-2004, 01:39 PM
yes i definitely agree, multitabling is the key (if you aren't already).

i used to play strictly b&m because online was soooo boring to me, then i discovered the wonders of multitabling and i love it. i like the fact that i can play the equivalent of 30-40 hours of B&M time in one day online easily.

makes "the long run" even out more quickly. i couldn't play online without multitabling... not enough "action" /images/graemlins/wink.gif

mikeyKay
10-13-2004, 01:49 PM
i agree with the other posts, and you should try to give multi-tabling a try. also, try not to think about the money. it doesnt seem like you are playing to pay the bills or anything like that. play poker because you like it and its fun. making a great play at 5/10 probably does feel a little better than making a play at 2/4, but you should just be happy with your good play no matter how much money was involved. try to take more pride, or interest, or i dont know what in playing well VS making lots of money.

-mike

MyssGuy
10-13-2004, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the comments. I have begun multi-tabling recently and it does help to get the "action". I have experimented somewhat with the Short Handed tables and have been doing a LOT of studying/reading here on 2+2 on the subject. I am trying to figure out if I'm seeing too few/too many hands, but more on that in the HU/SH forum.

Money is not an issue, as far as using it to pay the bills, etc. All money won/lost is for and from poker. It's become somewhat a matter of pride. There were days when I'd win a few hundred playing SnG in addition to ring games. Of course, I've hit the all too often down swing, so the prides taken a hit.

All in all, I've realized I can recognize the tilt and just have to leave. I have tried and failed too many times, saying I'll give my self one more orbit. As a result, I end up tilting more from another bad beat or "convincing" myself that I'm better than all these players and must stay. We'll see how future results go.

In the mean time, I hope to be posting and learning more here.

Thanks!