PDA

View Full Version : Hey! That's my play!

gonores
10-13-2004, 11:36 AM
Sorry about thd format...I will bisonbison these from now on.

Decent, tight player, with a slight tendencies toward passiveness, raises in UTG+1. I reraise with As Ts. Everyone else folds and UTG+1 calls. Flop comes Ad Jd 7c. He checks, I bet, he calls. Turn is the 6s. He checks, I bet, he raises, I seriously consider folding, and then decided to call down. River is the Td. He bets, and I still just call.

stoxtrader
10-13-2004, 11:44 AM
If you are folding to a c/r, would checking behind on the turn and then putting one bet in on the river be a viable alternative?

I think it would against anyone capable of a c/r bluff, maybe not against villain described in this hand as tight and somewhat passive. However, you can't be happy if he calls but can probably cehck behind on river...

I guess my point is against a calling station a turn bet is mandatory, but against a tricky LAG *or* a tight passive player a turn check may be the play - certainly it's better without a two-flush out there.

PokerNoob
10-13-2004, 12:04 PM
Is he only checkraising a set? If so, why call the checkraise? If not, why call the checkraise if you're not going to raise his river when your card comes? Would he fear a flush from you enough not to 3-bet with a set?

kiddo
10-13-2004, 12:15 PM
Fold.

What is he raising UTG if he is decent, tight, and is hit by board? AK, AQ, AJ, AT, JJ, 77. If he isnt bluffing you are drawing pretty dead. (Yes, he could have Axs, but do you think a passive player would play that like this?)

And if he is a bit passive, and you are a guy calling down toppair (decent kicker) if you are checkraised on turn, well, I dont see why he would checkraise you as a bluff after you 3bet preflop and bet flop and turn?

Chobohoya
10-13-2004, 12:34 PM
I think against a tight/passive player you have to fold the turn. Unless he views you the same way (unlikely i think) then his c/r can't really be a bluff. You're getting 7-1 to call, and you have 3, 2, or 0 outs if you're behind.

BTW, this kind of situation is being discussed in turnipmonster's post "capping preflop." I think that hands like this are good examples of why to cap/not cap preflop, and with what range of hands- it makes for some tricky postflop play.

Peter_rus
10-13-2004, 01:27 PM
against solid tight player. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP posts a blind of $10.
CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, MP (poster) calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP folds.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 7.25 BB, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 1 BB, returned to Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. Hero wins 8.25 BB. </font>

Schneids
10-13-2004, 01:49 PM
If you cannot pull the trigger on a river raise against this opponent I think I turn fold is in order, as this opponent doesn't sound like the type to bluff check raise the turn often or check raise the turn much with a worse ace.

I think it might be a good spot to raise and fold to a 3-bet, as I assume AJ and 77 are the two most likely hands out there that beat you and there's also an ok chance the guy is passive enough to not 3-bet with either of those.

As a final note, folding the turn is an even stronger case if you are certain this guy will not open raise with A7s or A6s.

Robk
10-13-2004, 02:21 PM
Why not fold preflop then?

Nemesis
10-13-2004, 04:25 PM
Dear god peter... how do you make that play? I think i'm worried that he has the goods.

rtucker5
10-13-2004, 05:07 PM
I dislike the way you played this hand. I think this is a clear fold preflop against a tight decent player. If you want to 3 bet and take over control of the hand, that is fine as long as you know it is as a bluff. You have to be willing to fold if you flop an A and meet resistance. The value of the preflop 3 bet is when you can get him to fold a better starting hand unimproved at some point postflop.

gonores
10-13-2004, 05:49 PM
This is a hand from my downswing and shows how running bad can snowball so quickly. There were a number of places I could let this go, including a strong argument for folding preflop. On the turn, however, I now think I'm dead to maybe a draw. At the time, I thought he could only make this play with a hand that had me drawing extremely thin, or with a semi-bluff, but it's hard to believe that now.

Glad my suspiscions that I need to lay down were confirmed.

He had AJo

joker122
10-13-2004, 05:58 PM
Yeah, if folding is correct on the turn then I think that shows folding is correct preflop.

fsuplayer
10-13-2004, 06:15 PM
Yeah, i think with a tight player raising from EP pf this is a fold preflop nearly everytime. I 3 bet this all the time against guys with pfr of &gt;20, but lower I will usually fold it. If there are cold calls in between, i might call as well, but you already know that.