PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying an MP3 player

mistrpug
10-13-2004, 10:30 AM
I want one. I haven't looked into it at all. I'd probably spent about $200, maybe a little more if necessary.

Any advice or recommendations? Thank you.

ArchAngel71857
10-13-2004, 10:32 AM
iPod.

-AA

mistrpug
10-13-2004, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
iPod.

-AA

[/ QUOTE ]

How big would you recommend? I know more is better but whats the best value?

ArchAngel71857
10-13-2004, 10:39 AM
It's really up to you. I have a Mini because it was cheap and 1,000 songs is more than I can listen to when I am away form my computer. I like to rearrange the songs and import new playlists all the time. OTOH, my friend has the 20 Gig model because he wants to take his entire mp3 library with him wherever he goes. I don't know much about the battery power for the 20, but mine last about 7 hours, which is much shorter than the length of 1,000 of songs. The iPod mini holds about 4 Gigs.

-AA

p.s. you can also buy the BMW that is designed around the iPod.

gonores
10-13-2004, 10:59 AM
I agree with AA. The ipod is insanely great. A mini will probably run you $200, the 20 gig (the one I have) runs at $300ish.

mistrpug
10-13-2004, 11:13 AM
Thank you both. The increase from 4GB to 20 GB for such a small price increase made me go for the 20 GB one. It is $259.99 shipped after coupons from buy.com. Thanks again.

EDIT: $269.99. Can't stack coupons.

sfer
10-13-2004, 11:40 AM
The physical size difference is significant between the mini and the full. Something to consider.

astroglide
10-13-2004, 11:41 AM
consdier the rio carbon. it's slightly smaller than an ipod mini, has 1gb more space, 3 times the battery life, and doesn't require any software to transfer music to it (it's treated as a usb hard drive and the music is simply placed in a directory). my gf loves hers.

bdk3clash
10-13-2004, 12:05 PM
I had an original 5 gig iPod and now an iPod Mini. (No, it's not pink.) I love the Mini, and the main selling point for me was the form factor. I recognize that for only a little bit more I could have gotten the 15-gig model (now the 20-gig one), but the Mini really is incredibly small.

There's no MP3 player on the market that can hold my entire MP3 collection, and 4 or 5 gigs or whatever the Mini holds is fine for me, but if you want more storage it's obviously not the best choice for you.

There's good third-party software for Windows users that lets you mount the iPod as a hard drive and use it that way. I used to use XPod, I think, to use the original iPod with my PC before Apple even supported iPods on PCs, and it still works pretty well, though I just use iTunes for Windows now to manage my iPod.

Neil Stevens
10-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Never send a spinning disk to do the job of some semiconductors. Avoid the disk-based devices if possible.

nolanfan34
10-13-2004, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Never send a spinning disk to do the job of some semiconductors. Avoid the disk-based devices if possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate on which ones you're referring to, for the non tech-savvy of us? I'm also thinking about buying one, so this is a timely thread for me.

astroglide
10-13-2004, 12:45 PM
anything large, basically. that includes all ipods and the rio carbon. solid state storage devices are more expensive and smaller (in dimensions as well as storage).

nolanfan34
10-13-2004, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
anything large, basically. that includes all ipods and the rio carbon. solid state storage devices are more expensive and smaller (in dimensions as well as storage).

[/ QUOTE ]

So, solid state is referring more to like memory sticks, or smart cards? My wife has some sort of data stick thing that looks like a pack of gum, I'm assuming that must be what you're talking about...

Is there really a reason to not go with a typical iPod or something? The only problems I've read about have mainly been with the batteries of the original ones.

Anyone tested out Dell's version?

bdk3clash
10-13-2004, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is more of a philosophical position than a practical one. The hard drive in my iPod mini, for example, has handled everything I've thrown at it for about a year (working out, being dropped, etc.) without ever skipping. It does have built-in RAM for buffering.

Like everything, it's a tradeoff. Figure out what you're looking for and what you want to pay, and go from there.

astroglide
10-13-2004, 01:04 PM
hard disks have moving parts and are exponentially more failure-prone than flash-type storage. it wouldn't dissuade me from buying them though.

wacki
10-13-2004, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hard disks have moving parts and are exponentially more failure-prone than flash-type storage. it wouldn't dissuade me from buying them though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. Here is a pic of 3 of the top mp3 player. Rio has better battery life, but I still went with the ipod do to feel/looks. I suggest you try them out in the store. If you are going to be using it everyday, a products "feel" goes a long way. You can't predict what model fits best in your hand. Everyone is different. Try them out.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20040831/rio1_11.jpg

Neil Stevens
10-13-2004, 01:28 PM
As was already pointed out, disks do have a reliability issue that chips don't.

And yes, it's a tradeoff. I think most users don't realize there is a tradeoff, though, and pick the bigger storage without realizing the consequences of that.

Slacker13
10-13-2004, 01:48 PM
I say, IROCKS. I have one and think it is great and it also comes with am/fm radio. I have the 256mb. Lightweight, sounds great.

TheRake
10-13-2004, 02:07 PM
I have a Rio Nitrus (http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/shop/_templates/item_main_Rio.asp?model=262)

I really like it and bought it specifically because it was the largest capacity (1.5gb) I could get at the time without a hard disk. Not sure if this is still true. It is also nice and compact. I paid $199 at the time, but I see they have come down in price.

Just my $.02

TheRake

Diplomat
10-13-2004, 02:23 PM
If I had to do it again, I'd get the Rio. The ipod's looks are a bit better, but who cares -- it goes in your pocket.

If you do decide to get an ipod and are a student, there is educational pricing available on the Apple website. You just have to dig for it.

-Diplomat

MarkL444
10-13-2004, 03:05 PM
I have the 4th gen 20 gig iPod and i LOVE it. both of my roommates have minis, but i can tell you that mine is way better. you will never notice the size difference when its in your pocket (or even in your hand), and the screen is way bigger. not to mention 5x the space. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

MarkL444
10-13-2004, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The physical size difference is significant between the mini and the full. Something to consider.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will barely notice. Get the full.

mistrpug
10-13-2004, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have the 4th gen 20 gig iPod and i LOVE it. both of my roommates have minis, but i can tell you that mine is way better. you will never notice the size difference when its in your pocket (or even in your hand), and the screen is way bigger. not to mention 5x the space. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually exactly what I went with. I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks again.

daryn
10-13-2004, 04:03 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agree. i see no benefits to the mini

sfer
10-13-2004, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you; I got the full capacity and love it. But the relative size matters a lot to some friends of mine.

turnipmonster
10-13-2004, 05:09 PM
But the relative size matters a lot to some friends of mine.

size queens.

--turnipmonster

junkmail3
10-28-2004, 04:29 PM
I know this might be a little late, and I certinly hope it isn't in poor taste. But I was also considering getting an MP3 player and heard about the sites that are giving them away for free. So I tried that out.

You just have to sign up for some stupid promo (and cancel within 30 days), sign up 5 other people and you get one free. It's not a bad deal and I just started my process.

So, here's my link if you want to do it (it doesn't hurt referring me.) This link has other info too to prove it's not spam/bogus.

IPOD BLOG (http://clickonthislinkformoredetails.blogspot.com/)

Again, I'm just thought this would be genuinly(sp?) useful. If mods or whoever think it's in poor taste, I apologize and have no problem with it being removed at all. Just an attempt to help.

(you could even screw me and go to the webpage, benefit no one and sign up yourself if you want to. Just offering a way to get one cheap.)

daryn
10-28-2004, 04:30 PM
you have an appropriate username

junkmail3
10-28-2004, 04:43 PM
Like I tried to imply. Just trying to help. I've posted here for a couple of months (some okay, some awful). But I've never spammed or done anything of the sort here, and don't plan on it.

If I wanted to spam this instead of just pointing out other options I would have posted it in every forum, and bumped it every 10 minutes. I'm a little smarter than just posting spam in one section of one group.

Lawrence Ng
10-28-2004, 08:27 PM
IPod or IPod Mini. Personally I would get the IPod, it's not much more and can store hella more songs.

rdu $teve
10-29-2004, 11:02 AM
A little late on this one, but I didnt see anyone mention Archos. I've had the 1st gen, 20GB model over a year now. I am very satisfied with it. I bought the Archos, because it was the only one, at the time, that offered a recording model, which is very useful for meetings that I must record.

Pros
Battery life - playing music, it last almost 10 hours; its advertised as 8 hours playing time. Recording, I have the rate turned down so the battery lasts about 15-16 hours.

Durability - I have had absolutely no problems with mine. A friend has the 2nd generation, and has also had no problems.

Cons
Size - Definately the biggest problem with the Archos. Its substantially thicker and longer than the Ipod. The 2nd gen Archos is thinner, but still thicker than the Ipod.

Interface - Its good and easy to use, but the Ipod is much better for running through playlists. I wound up downloading a 3rd party OS from RockBox OS (http://www.rockbox.com) Its a little better than the included OS

Price - mine was $278, including a 2 year full replacement warrenty ($40) at Circuit City. Without the recorder it is ~$50 less.