PDA

View Full Version : OverBetting Big Hands

BeerMoney
10-13-2004, 09:36 AM
There are times when you can determine your bluffing frequency as a function of pot odds your opponent will receive on the call.....

Is there a way to figure a time, say in NL, when you may make a ridiculously big bet into a tiny pot when you flop the nuts or something like that?

rdu $teve
10-13-2004, 09:54 AM
I try to do this at the flop and the river, because those are the most common places for a bluff. I normally make it some strange and excessively high number. In person, I try to use body language that everyone typically associates with a bluff; slamming my chips on the table, appearing over-confident but not able to look at my opponent in the eye. All the general stuff in Caro's book that everyone knows even before reading it, just use it in reverse.

CaptObvious
10-13-2004, 06:07 PM
Good point. I will sometimes slowplay a hand on the flop (check it, or just smooth call on the flop), and then bet it out strong on the turn. This can work mixing up your table image because after a bit, (especially if you make it know you're a fan of suited connectors).
For instance if you hold 89s, the flop comes: A-8-X, turn 9, ...it can set you up for future hands. Of course this comes with a caveat in knowing your opponents because you should always leave yourself outs...
On the same token, underbetting hands on a bluff can work against the right people; sometimes it's fishier if you seem like you're begging for a call.

laja
10-13-2004, 07:09 PM
If the players have read caro's book or know common tells, I am sure they have seen people "act", so be careful with that:)