PDA

View Full Version : Draw Freezeout fails

03-28-2002, 04:32 PM
Paradise $50 buy in

Virtually the entire table limps to me on the button with Q2 diamonds. I call hoping to flop a big flush.

The flop comes

2 5 Q (Q and five are in spades)

SB bets $3.50 (the pot), everyone folds, and I come over the top for to make it $10. I figure him for a queen or a flush draw. He calls.

Turn comes something like an 8 or a 9.

SB checks I bet $15 into the $22(ish) dollar pot.

SB calls.

River comes A

Board 2 5 Q 8 A rainbow

he checks, I check it back. He shows 34 for the wheel and takes it.

Should my turn bet have been bigger? Much bigger? Should I have tried to freeze him out on the flop?

I realize playing my Q2 was speculative to start with, but I was heads up with position and two pair, so I figured I had to play it.

03-28-2002, 07:12 PM
When he bet the pot on the turn, he bet $3.50 and then you did what? You raised a $7.00 pot by $10? Did I read that right? That's not nearly enough to make a flush draw incorrect.

Was this pot limit or no limit? What were your stack sizes?

03-28-2002, 07:45 PM
Stack sizes the same, he might have had $10 more than me and I had about $45.

He bet the FLOP for the pot, I re-raised to $10, about 180% the size of the pot. He called the flop re-raise, checked the turn, and called my $15 bet into the $22 pot on the turn.

He checked the river, I checked back.

03-28-2002, 08:04 PM
This is hard to answer if you don't give stack sizes, but I think you should have made a slight overbet to about $20 on the flop - you've got a hand to protect here! Nothing wrong with taking it down there, when flush and str8 draws are possible, esp. when it's a family pot. And if stacks were not too much above the buy-in, you also hurt the implied odds of any draw which choses to come along.

cu

Ignatius

03-28-2002, 08:09 PM
If there was $3.50 in the pot, and he bet $3.50, then there would be $7.00 in the pot. $10.00 is not 180% of $3.50 or $7.00, so I'm missing something. Sorry.

At any rate, regardless of the numbers, it seems to me your hand is very vulnerable and you would be happy to win it right away. True, it's a small pot, but there's a lot more ways your opponent can improve than you can. It seems to me you're a lot more likely to lose a lot of money on this hand than he is.

03-28-2002, 08:19 PM
> He bet the FLOP for the pot, I re-raised to $10, about 180% the size of the pot.

A pot sized raise here would have been to $14. - It's the pot size after your call (i.e. $10.50), against which you usually measure the amount of your raise.

cu

Ignatius

03-30-2002, 01:08 PM
Not knowing your image or your opponent, I think you played it well.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

04-01-2002, 08:24 AM
"He bet the FLOP for the pot, I re-raised to $10, about 180% the size of the pot."

This is about a pot sized reraise, not 180%. $3.50 pot sized bet= $7 pot and you reraised $6.50 to $10. Or did you raise $10 to $13.50?

I think I would have just called the flop bet and seen if the board paired on the turn. 4 reasons for this:

a)I would have not put him on a draw unless, by leading out, he could get it all-in on the flop if reraised.

b) My 2 pair is vunerable to the board pairing and making my 2 pair worthless.

c) I am headsup in position

d) It was a family pot and the SB bet out. This indicates to me that they may have a big hand to bet into so many opponents. It may even be best to fold this hand and save your money.

It is worth considering that when a player calls a reraise on the flop out of position and just checks the turn then they are either weak or drawing, especially when they check call the turn and check the river.

It turns out the player was a loose goose that got lucky and didn't get paid off. You did well to save some money on the end.

04-01-2002, 08:30 AM
whoops, indeed a pot size bet would be to about $14 here as the others have pointed out.