PDA

View Full Version : Common situation at 10/20 on the turn

Guido
10-13-2004, 05:51 AM
This type of play seems to happen a lot at 10/20, at least a lot more than at 5/10. So what's your default play? What if it was HU?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Guido is Button with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="CC3333">Guido raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP checks, <font color="CC3333">Guido bets</font>, SB calls, MP calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP bets</font>, Guido?

Thanks,

Guido

Trix
10-13-2004, 09:06 AM
Looks like a weak made hand, but there is still a player behind. I probably just lay down since the pot is smallish. If you raise in the same situation with a pair and he folds right there or on the river, then go for it some of the time.
Calling probably isnt bad either, but is close and all your outs will have to be clean often. On the other hand, it might discourage him from doing this with nothing as he will have to bet the river also.

Notbadatall
10-13-2004, 09:30 AM
Yeah this is a classic problem in hold'em it is impossible to know if he got a flushdraw, a small pair or even a made str8, I probebly put him on a inside str8 draw and flushdraw on that bet, but you are in the middle of it so I guess it is a raise or fold situation, if you belive he bets his draw or even may fold a small pair you might raise him and go for the free showdown if he call you and you do not hit your Q on the river. I think you have to raise the turn so you might get it heads up, first player in has hard to call with something like A5-A8 if you raise it but probebly would call if you only called. But you said 10/20 party and they could probebly call a doublebet with A2 on that turn raise sometimes I am afraid. But I guess most of the time you should fold but the times you are going to play it you got to raise.

I think this is the absolutly hardest situation in fixed limit hold'em and the person that make the right move here most of the time would gain 2BB/hour at least in the long run.

Grisgra
10-13-2004, 09:57 AM
From what I've seen when this happens in 5/10, the guy just picked up a flush draw, probably has an overcard as well. That doesn't mean I can tell you how to play it . . .

balkii
10-13-2004, 10:58 AM
i see this play usually with a weak top pair or something. barring a read i'd fold a lot of the times, but still raise enough to keep it balanced.

Guido
10-13-2004, 05:47 PM
I guess most of you fold most of the time like I do. But what if it's HU? Does that change your decision?

When you don't fold, which line do you prefer. Calling down or raising the turn and checking behind on the river when you don't improve.

Thanks,

Guido

fsuplayer
10-13-2004, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But what if it's HU? Does that change your decision?

When you don't fold, which line do you prefer. Calling down or raising the turn and checking behind on the river when you don't improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising doesnt do much here if you are HU. if you raised pf and raise this turn, he is still calling with any pair.

if he is on a draw or picked up a draw, why not let him bluff again on the river.

some will say that you should raise in case he's on a draw to charge him, but on most boards, you wont know whether he's drawing or has a made hand, so if you do plan to see a showdown, i like just calling the turn as they are not folding anything that beats you on the turn.

fsuplayer

tj00
10-13-2004, 11:30 PM
I would fold most of the time when bet into. I saw some raise or fold advice, but I prefer to call if I play on. What hands do you want SB to fold, Q8,Q2, A8, A2, not real likely holdings. Let the SB come along with his bottom pair and add some equity to your draw. It could argued be that you want bottom pair to fold if MP is bluffing. Do you really want to commit yourself to showdown with ace high though?

What do I know though, I am probably weak tight.