PDA

View Full Version : Free Winning Poker Books

Dr_Colossus
10-13-2004, 04:53 AM
Hi. I recently bought T J Cloutier's and Tom McEvoy's book "Championship No-Limit & Pot-Limti Hold'em". In purchasing the book I have been offered the choice of a free book, two of the choices which are "Winning Poker For The Serious Player" by Edwin Silberstang and "How To Play Winning Poker" by Avery Cardoza.
I haven't heard of either of these books before so I am just wondering whether any of you knowledgeable players have come or read either of them and which one you would recommend? Any advice or information you would have on these two books would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

CurryLover
10-13-2004, 08:53 AM
"Winning Poker For The Serious Player" by Edwin Silberstang is no good at all. I haven't seen the other one but it can't be much worse.

Al Mirpuri
10-13-2004, 09:11 AM
Both are pretty much the same book and they are trash.

If you have to stamp and post an envelope or ring a phone then don't bother claiming either.

Dr_Colossus
10-13-2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks guys. Wow that is pretty negative feedback on those two books. They must really be utterly useless. I had expected that they would be below average given that they were free but surely there must be some decent points made in either one or the other?
The books are completely free and I wouldn't have to waste a phone call or stamped addressed envelope to claim the promotion. All that is required is to fill out a form on the net. There are some other general books available for selection (not poker) Would I be perhaps better off in claiming one of these instead?
Thanks again.

KeyToTheMint
10-13-2004, 11:03 AM
I have only read how to play winning poker. It is written for someone
who has never played poker before. Its not even a book just a worthless
pamphlet.

On holdem it reads these are marginal hands JJ TT 99 (the lower pockets aren't even good enough to make marginal) Play your marginal hand JJ etc only if the cost is cheap. You cannot call a raise.

I wouldn't mind if all my opponents owned this book and followed its advice to the letter.

Your probably better off with a non poker related book if the other book
is anything like how to play winning poker which might be better titled
how not to play winning poker.

Al Mirpuri
10-15-2004, 05:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys. Wow that is pretty negative feedback on those two books. They must really be utterly useless. I had expected that they would be below average given that they were free but surely there must be some decent points made in either one or the other?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are no "decent" points in either book.

[ QUOTE ]
The books are completely free and I wouldn't have to waste a phone call or stamped addressed envelope to claim the promotion. All that is required is to fill out a form on the net. There are some other general books available for selection (not poker) Would I be perhaps better off in claiming one of these instead?
Thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the other books?