PDA

View Full Version : Redsox and Yankees history of the rivalry

rusty JEDI
10-13-2004, 02:48 AM
I was just watching a series of clips put together with the history of the yankees vs the redsox. It had some really old stuff, and then a lot of pitchers throwing at people. But the best part was getting to watch Pedro grab Zimmer by the head and throw him to the ground. Now that's good TV.

rJ

andyfox
10-13-2004, 12:06 PM
The playoff game in 1978 might be the greatest game ever played. Piniella made two plays in right field you have to see to believe. Steinbrenner says he watches the tape of the game every now and then and still can't believe it. Greg Nettles says he was so nervous in the bottom of the ninth that, with two outs, two on, the score 5-4 and Yastrzemski at bat he was saying to himself, "pop him up, pop him up," and when Gossage did indeed pop him up and the ball was coming towards him, he thought, "oh no, not to me." And if you watch him catch it, he looked very unconfident.

Toro
10-13-2004, 02:35 PM
A few years later when Gossage was interviewed about this game he said he was very very nervous coming into the game. He said to deal with it he said to himself that if he blew it the worst that would happen would be that he'd be out duck hunting a couple of weeks earlier.

andyfox
10-13-2004, 03:07 PM
He went three innings. He had had a 5-2 lead and when Yaz came up with the score 5-4, Sparky Lyle (who had been the Cy Young winner in 1977) was warming up in the pen. I thought it was a mistake not to bring the lefty Lyle in as Gossage was getting by on fumes by that point. Shows what I know.