PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Fact or Fiction

ThaSaltCracka
10-13-2004, 02:01 AM
Game two is a must win for Boston, fact or fiction?

This is a fact IMO, if Pedro loses to NY, then who the hell can beat the Yankees? Arroyo? HAHAHA. Game two is a must win for them and for those select few who are vested against me.

daryn
10-13-2004, 02:02 AM
i agree, it's HUGE. i mean huge.

but i disagree about arroyo. he can win.

Clarkmeister
10-13-2004, 02:06 AM
Fiction.

ThaSaltCracka
he can win, but just not against the yankees.

It is a huge game though. I am sure if they are losing tomorrow, Fox will tell us all how many teams have come back from a 0-2 deficit.

ThaSaltCracka
why?

lastchance
10-13-2004, 02:07 AM
Fiction. The Boston lineup is very deep, and who knows when they're going to explode for 8-9 runs off Yankee pitching? That said, 2-0 is a huge hole to come back from.

I'd say about 15% chance of Boston winning after losing Game 2.

ThaSaltCracka
10-13-2004, 02:12 AM
so you give them roughly a 7:1 chance to win if they fall to 0-2 and say its fiction?
If NY wins tomorrow, they only need to win one game in Boston and then this series is essentially over, if they lose, they need to win 2 in Boston to have a chance.

Dynasty
10-13-2004, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the ALCS would only be 2-0. The Red Sox could still win four games in the remainder of the series.

ThaSaltCracka
10-13-2004, 02:15 AM
oooohhhhh.... so they would only have to win 4 more games, as opposed to the yankees only needing to win 2 more. yeah that should(or would) be easy....

craig r
10-13-2004, 02:44 AM
BOS is 4-0 vs. NYY when he pitches. I know that is a small sample...but he has pitched decent against NYY.

Non_Comformist
10-13-2004, 03:52 AM
The game is HUGE no doubt but FICTION

If Boston loses (as we all hope) then sweeping at home becomes a MUST for the Redsox, they would however still have that chance if they lose tomorrrow

Ed Miller
10-13-2004, 05:53 AM
he can win, but just not against the yankees.

Dude, did you watch the game today? They must have said like three times that the Sox are 4-0 against the Yankees this year when Big Bronson starts. He hasn't gotten the decisions, but what does that matter?

If you think Yankees are gonna win this series because of their starting pitching matchups, you're nuts. Boston's got that area locked up even with Schilling's gimpiness.

This series is gonna be won or lost in left field. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

EDIT: I also think Johnny Damon's hair will play a key role.

Neil Stevens
10-13-2004, 09:55 AM
Fiction. According to the rules, the league championship series is a best-of-seven, meaning that a team is eliminated upon losing four games. A loss in game two would only be a second loss, and would allow the Red Sox to continue playing and have a chance to win.

Some people take this "must-win" stuff way way way too far. I sure hope the players don't get that mindset, because then they won't have any additional pressure to put on themselves when a game really is must-win.

ThaSaltCracka
10-13-2004, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, did you watch the game today? They must have said like three times that the Sox are 4-0 against the Yankees this year when Big Bronson starts. He hasn't gotten the decisions, but what does that matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely my point, the offense wins games for them, better hope Brown isn't on point for that game.

[ QUOTE ]
If you think Yankees are gonna win this series because of their starting pitching matchups, you're nuts. Boston's got that area locked up even with Schilling's gimpiness.

[/ QUOTE ] You went to MIT right? I can see they don't teach much Baseball there. With Schillings gimpiness, Bostons starting pitching is greatly weakened.

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: I also think Johnny Damon's hair will play a key role.

[/ QUOTE ] I agree with you, my guess is that on a windy day at Fenway, his hair blocks his visions on a key liner, causing the bases to clear and giving John Olerud a inside the park home run.

andyfox
10-13-2004, 11:54 AM
I agree. Arroyo is pitching well and you see what Sturtze and Gordon did last night. Plus the Yankees rarely do well against the knuckleballer and they don't exactly have Koufax and Drysdale pitching for them in games three and four.

andyfox
10-13-2004, 11:56 AM
"This series is gonna be won or lost in left field. EDIT: I also think Johnny Damon's hair will play a key role."

Yeah, but what does Lee Jones think?

andyfox
10-13-2004, 11:59 AM
One thing we're overlooking: while Pedro's daddy might be in attendance, we're still looking at Pedro Martinez vs. Jon Leiber. We're a long way from 0-2.

ThaSaltCracka
10-13-2004, 12:13 PM
Lieber has been pitching well since the start of September, also I don't think Torre would pick him as the game 2 starter if he didn't think he could win. I think people are making a huge deal out of the starting pitching in this series. All four of the "aces" in this series, Schilling, Pedro, Mussina, and Brown are all old and no where as good as they use to be (especially Pedro and Brown).

[ QUOTE ]
We're a long way from 0-2.

[/ QUOTE ]
What is this "We're" stuff /images/graemlins/wink.gif, We are 1-0 , and on our way to being 2-0, and I will be 50% on my way torwards $42 dollars.