PDA

View Full Version : Future of Wireless Internet

12-11-2001, 07:58 PM
Anybody have an opinion on the future of wireless internet and related technology?

Seems like a potentially exciting growth area.

What are some good stock plays to make to bet on this industry? I have been following GoAmerica (GOAM) and Openwave (OPWV). GoAmerica stock just doubled today after a new deal with IBM was announced.

Any other suggestions?

12-11-2001, 08:05 PM

12-11-2001, 09:12 PM
The beauty of the Internet is the diversity and richness of the content made available by universal Internet Protocol, HTML, Domain-Name servers, and so on.

But there really isn't any need to surf, or to see banner adds, or to use HTML to exchange emails, in places where there isn't a power outlet or phone jack.

Most corporate or intranet applications can rely on their own proprietary, or non-IP protocol, whether it be some kind of CDMA or radio or whatever protocol (3G wireless? not my expertise).

So there seem to be plenty of applications for wireless network appliances, but not specifically wireless Internet. You can do a lot with wireless bandwidth when you are willing to do without applications that have evolved around wall-jack bandwidth.

And the real advantages of the wall jack are the couch and the thermostat. And to enjoy most Internet content, you also need to carry around a 12-inch screen.

elroy

12-12-2001, 03:52 PM
Just as a technical side note IP was used over radio modems very early in its existence.

I suspect that as bandwidths increase that ad hoc wireless uses will give way to ad hoc wireless uses of IP /images/wink.gif

FWIW I suspect you are confusing L2s with L3s. Thats not the worse error to make, but it tends to make it hard to figure out which technologies really compete with each other.

Personally I don't have any investments in this area as I don't see the killer application. But I don't carry a cell phone either.