PDA

View Full Version : Playing bottom 2 pair on the flop

HoldEmKillah
10-12-2004, 09:03 PM
I'm wondering how others typically play bottom 2 pair on the flop. I was in this particular hand last week at a $50 buy in local tourny, 30 players to start, down to 14, top 5 get paid. I have a healthy stack of about 13,000 and Villian is chip leader with about 20,000. Blinds are 300, 600.

Villian UTG limps, folded to me and I call with 5c 6c. SB completes and BB checks.

FLOP: Qh 5d 6s

SB and BB check and UTG bets 1000. She has been limping in with AQ, AK, TT, never raising before the flop. So I put her on KQ or more probably AQ. I also know that she is not an advanded player and probably won't lay down to a big raise if she holds TP/GK. What is your next move?

Here is what I did: I raised to 4000 to get rid of any draws the SB and BB might have and isolate her. If a blank hit the turn I was either moving all in or pushing real hard to take it down right there.

So I'm wondering if this play is typically correct or to perhaps call and then hope for a blank and raise hard on the turn?

It just so happens that a Queen hit the turn, she moved in and I had to fold. But regardless of what happened on the turn, did I play it right? How would you have played this hand?

Thank you,
HEK

0evg0
10-12-2004, 11:29 PM
I think in this case it's hard to argue your play without arguing your read on the player - and who am I to do that? In most cases however, I'd be okay with just calling the flop bet. But then again, I give away far too many free cards. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

MLG
10-12-2004, 11:33 PM
good read, good play, good fold.

1 other thought. If you were sure she wouldn't be able to release, why not move-in on the flop? Its an insanely large overbet, but if she would call its probably the right play.

jwvdcw
10-12-2004, 11:45 PM
usually, if you flop bottom two pair, you're playing out of one of the blinds(or else you play poor hands). I advocate a big check raise. You have a great hand, but a hand thats hard to play on further betting rounds. I would check, hope someone bets, and then make a big check raise either making him commit himself to the hand or fold.