PDA

View Full Version : NL Question

03-23-2002, 01:44 AM
.25/.50 $50 max buy in paradise games.

I have JJ in the small blind. UTG raises to $1, 4 people call, I call, bb calls. Flop is 7 4 2, with 2 diamonds. I dont have a diamond. Checked to UTG raiser woh bets $9. All fold to me. I have $50 and the raiser has me covered. I decide to fold... Comments? BTW I dont know much about the player as I just recently sat down.

03-23-2002, 08:59 AM
Sorry, but your play of this hand seems very weak-tight. I probably would have reraised preflop about $6. If UTG then moved all-in, I might fold. Otherwise, I'd bet the pot on the flop. Had I played the hand like you to the point that utg bet the flop, I would have made a big check-raise. Utg's overbet on this rather ragged flop suggests to me that he does not have a big hand (though this inference would be stronger if the flop had been three-suited).

03-23-2002, 10:10 AM
if he is one to bet into flops with overcards to steal when everyone looks weak you should raise and play for your stack here. if not then your fold is correct.

not knowing him i might just call and see what develops.

03-23-2002, 02:43 PM
Raise preflop to get some information.

But, since you didnīt I think the fold was 100% correct with no reads.

03-23-2002, 05:01 PM
With no read on him, and being short stacked. Its a borderline fold or all in. IMO

03-23-2002, 05:15 PM
Ray,

I'm struggling to learn this game and I hope you will answer a couple questions:

Against unknown opponents, how often would you reraise preflop? ...and by what amount?

Assuming you did not reraise, what would be your plan after the flop? Betting seems superior to me than checking. How often and how much would you lead bet?

Regards,

Mike

03-23-2002, 08:53 PM
if your money is kinda short yes you may want to reraise but folding may be better.

after the flop id want to get away without losing much more against this flop. but maybe if short, checkraising him is the play or if you dont have enough for that then betting allin could be the ticket. with a fair amount of money checking and folding is probably the play without personal information.

this is no limit. and if you play it like limit you will get broke everytime someone has a bigger pair than you.

03-24-2002, 04:15 AM
Next time call. Bet the turn all-in if no overcard comes, otherwise check/fold.

-MD

03-24-2002, 05:36 AM
if your money is kinda short yes you may want to reraise but folding may be better.

Please tell me you're not really recommending that I fold JJ to such a small raise (2x the BB) in a seven-way pot.

with a fair amount of money checking and folding is probably the play without personal information.

You seem to have a more cautious approach to the game than the authors whom I've read: Brunson and Cloutier/McEvoy (though Cloutier/McEvoy recommended tight preflop play).

Your caution makes sense to me in this case because seven players saw the flop. Would you bet your jacks on a flop of 7-4-2 with fewer opponents? How about if you had a bigger pocket pair?

this is no limit. and if you play it like limit you will get broke everytime someone has a bigger pair than you.

Well, I haven't really been playing it like limit. My default big stack strategy has been to bet the pot (or somewhat less) when I have a strong pair on a relatively nonthreatening flop and believe my hand is in the lead. If called, I proceed much more cautiously than I would in a limit game, often folding to a bet on the turn. I would appreciate guidance regarding when it is correct to bet the flop with medium strength hands.

How would you alter your flop betting strategy if you were playing against mostly limit players who didn't know what they were doing?

Regards,

Mike