PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive blind defender kills me.

renodoc
10-12-2004, 04:34 PM
Subtitle of this post is "I'm a steaming idiot"

$110 single table sat at the Hilton Pot of Gold. I'm getting great cards, making great calls and I have 2300 chips out of 5000 with 4 people left. The guy to my left has the second biggest stack at around 1500 or so. Blinds are 75-150.

Everytime I am in the SB and complete or raise the BB goes over the top. I don't have the hand to snap him off so I fold over and over again. Its ridiculous and my stack is getting smaller. The guy takes a chip lead from me. In fact, he doesnt even have to be in the blind to squash my raise or limp. He's got me targeted I think and he's killing me.

Now I'm UTG and make it 450 to go with A7s. Of course, he goes over the top. Blinds fold. I can't believe he has done it again and I sit and stew a bit. Its 1 AM, I have to work in 7 hours, I've played the big tourney 5 hours for nothing and I have every excuse in the world and call him. JJ. I lose.

Obviously impatience sucks here, but how do you guys deal with this type of aggresive play other than limping and waiting....???

Cleveland Guy
10-12-2004, 04:56 PM
I know this sucks, but you have to wait it out. You were just chip dumping to him. Tighten up your play. Most times you can trap him with a monster - or someone else will.

Once he is decimated I bet he will be on tilt, and even if he isn't won't have the chips to try and steal with anyways.

poboy
10-12-2004, 05:16 PM
I think you have to be patient and just wait him out, his own aggresive style of play will soon catch up to him. However if you don't feel like waiting him out an alternate strategy might be to push, he can't come over the top if you are already all-in. I wouldn't do this every time but if you stick him a couple times it should calm him down. If he's the type who will call an all-in with marginal hands this could backfire though. JMO

TheDrone
10-12-2004, 05:17 PM
If you know the raise is coming, then why play hands that you are not willing to call when he comes over the top? Sounds like you were slow to switch gears. I know...easier said than done. Then you called for a coinflip. If you thought that A7s was worth playing, might as well have pushed it so at least you have some folding equity and the villain has no chance to make you fold.

rachelwxm
10-12-2004, 05:55 PM
I am playing HP against another aggressive stealer the other day. And whenever I completed from sb, he moved in. I tried that a few times to get him used to it and next hand I did the same thing with AA. No surprises! /images/graemlins/smile.gif
A7s is not the hand to play if you know what will happen.

rjb03
10-12-2004, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you know the raise is coming, then why play hands that you are not willing to call when he comes over the top? Sounds like you were slow to switch gears. I know...easier said than done. Then you called for a coinflip. If you thought that A7s was worth playing, might as well have pushed it so at least you have some folding equity and the villain has no chance to make you fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

No coinflips here.