PDA

View Full Version : Dealing w/ first big downswing.

sprmario
10-12-2004, 04:34 PM
I had my first really big downswing this weekend. I've had 2 smaller downswiings of about 75 BB and 100 BB but this weekend I am down about 150BB which is about 1/3 of my bankroll. I know this is normal and that even larger downswings are not uncommon for winning players. I know that i'm not even 100% sure that I'm a winning player yet because my sample size is still too small at any given level.

Its still frustrating as hell.

Part of the downswing involved playing 5/10 6max. A format and limit that i am new at. Part of the downswing involved 3/6, a level I am pretty comfortable with but I'm experiencing a bump in the road. And finally part of the downswing is from just playing worse.

I know I'm pressing and playing a few hands I shouldn't play, and i'm playing mediocre holdings too far sometimes.

I decided to take last night off and I'll probably take tonight off as well before getting back into the game. I'll be back at a mix of 2/4 and 3/6 tables in hopes of regaining my winning ways.

I thought I was well prepared for this event and yet it has still been a shock to my system to lose so much over a few days after such a hot streak.

All-In
10-12-2004, 05:20 PM
It's a good idea to take some time off and re-evaluate your play. Moving up limits then playing short-handed is not a good idea especially if you lack experience playing short-handed. Also, these games tend to produce bigger swings. I would move down in limits and regain bankroll/confidence before moving back up again.

bdk3clash
10-12-2004, 05:22 PM
Why does everyone advise taking time off when on a downswing? I think the best way to deal with a downswing is to not care about it.

All-In
10-12-2004, 05:26 PM
True, especially if it's just a bad run of cards and if you gone through big down swings before, but oblivously it's bothering him quite a bit. Likely even affecting his play.

sluttysteve
10-12-2004, 05:31 PM
I would recommend searching the forums and reading about other people's worse, more depressing downswings. It'll make you feel better.

For example, I've experienced a small 50 BB downswing over the past two days that had been moderately annoying, but after reading your post I'm a lot more comfortable with it.

TommyO
10-12-2004, 05:36 PM
I've been playing seriously for about 6 months. I've had two downswings of over 100BB in that time. In fact I'm still recovering from the last one. I'm not saying that I'm a good player but I've done the required reading and I know when the pot odds justify a call/fold etc.

My problem is that after a few sessions of bad beats I start to see monsters. I hesitate to make that value bet on the river thinking of ways I might lose instead of realizing that I'll win the pot 9 out of 10 times. In other words I start leaving a lot of money on the table.

My advice is to stay aggressive. If you're worried about making a raise because you don't want to lose another $X then I suggest you move down to a limit where losing a few BB doesn't affect your play.

Also, respect a raise. If your opponent raises you, give him credit for a hand. I haven't run into many players in the small stakes tables that will bluff raise. I can't tell you how many times I've called a guy down because I just couldn't believe he had a hand. Of course, that may explain my downswings /images/graemlins/wink.gif

colgin
10-12-2004, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why does everyone advise taking time off when on a downswing?

[/ QUOTE ]

One word answer: Tilt.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the best way to deal with a downswing is to not care about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have the presence of mind to not care about it and not let it affect you emotionally (and that is what we should all be striving for) then, of course, one should keep playing and not think about the inevitable ups and downs. But if one is getting frustrated taking time off seems like a very sensible idea no matter how good the games are.

Personally, since I am very overbankrolled for my current limit even the very bad swings (and I have had a bunch in the past three months or so) don't get to me very much so I tend to keep playing. Still, I have had days that were getting so bad that stopping and doing something else seemed good both for me and my game.

bdk3clash
10-12-2004, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why does everyone advise taking time off when on a downswing?

[/ QUOTE ]
One word answer: Tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]
Two word answer: Don't tilt. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MoreWineII
10-12-2004, 06:19 PM
colgin for teh win!

I find that after taking an especially bad ass-kicking, taking a few days off refreshes my mind, body, and soul.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there are many people who can just shrug off a series of bad/tough beats and still play at peak efficiency.

btw, 5/10 6-max can be swingy as hell. For those with fragile psyches, I'd suggest avoiding it.

sprmario
10-12-2004, 06:33 PM
I knew it was coming... I knew it was unavoidable. I knew I shouldn't let it bother me, but clearly it was bothering me. I think a day or two off can't really hurt... I was putting in more hrs than I planned on anyways so a couple of nights off will probably be good for me /images/graemlins/smile.gif.