PDA

View Full Version : Flopped set in $3-6 gets lots of late action

ChicagoTroy
10-12-2004, 04:03 PM
The board three straight on the river, combined with the fact that he was the small blind and could have a range of hands, led me to think this could be a straight and not two pair or a missed flush. Do you 3-bet, call, or fold here?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (11 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB

Nate tha' Great
10-12-2004, 06:02 PM
I'd 3-bet.

That card completed straights for 32 and 87.

32 was open-ended on the flop and could well have played it that way, although that would be a pretty liberal completion preflop in a game with a 1/3 blind structure, even for a relatively fishy player.

87 would have had to call two cold bets cold on the flop with just a gutshot. Unless he was suited in hearts, I don't think that hand is particularly likely, and if he *was* suited in hearts, he would probably have bet out on the flop.

ChicagoTroy
10-12-2004, 06:32 PM
He did indeed have 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (But it was sooted) and took it down. I never considered folding and my small sample (500 hands) at this limit is showing a some bluffing at board three straights and (more often) 3-flushes. In this case I figured it was slightly more likely he'd caught a hand but still almost 3-bet.

Jonny Melon
10-12-2004, 06:44 PM
I'd three bet. This isn't all that scary of a card for you (unlike, say, a heart). Given the action, it is not unreasonable for your opponent to put you on something as weak as a pair of 9s. You are much more likely to see 2-pair here than a straight or a bigger set that it is a +EV move. He might even be playing the "Wait til the river to raise" move on a big queen; this is less likely, but does happen.

Added point: If your opponent had an OESD on the flop, he could have 23, 36, 67. You are only afraid of 23. If he called 2 cold w/ 78o (except 7h8h) then god bless him.
Jon

Jonny Melon
10-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Chicago: Don't let the results mislead you, this is a good 3-bet.
Jon