PDA

View Full Version : UK Gambling laws

Larimani
10-12-2004, 03:46 PM
I want to start a Poker Society at my University in England.
It would be only Limit and NL tournaments with a £10 max buy-in.

Would this be illegal in terms of UK Gambling Laws? or would it come under the legislation regulating competitions... in which case it would be legal (?)

Here is an extract I found on the Gaming Board's website:

What is the relevant legislation ?

The law on prize competitions is contained in section 14 of the Lotteries and Amusements Act 1976, available from HMSO. A guide to some of the provisions of the Act is contained in “Lotteries and the law” which is available on this website.

What is a prize competition ?

Prize competitions are competitions in which success depends to a substantial degree on the exercise of skill. If a competition does not involve skill it may be considered a lottery and could be unlawful. Competitions requiring the exercise of skill may involve the answering of questions, solving puzzles, tie breakers etc.

Is there a statutory definition of the level of skill required ?
There is no statutory definition of what constitutes a substantial degree of skill. The Board would advise that anyone considering organising such a competition to seek their own independent legal advice before proceeding.

Are some types of competition unlawful ?

Yes, under section 14 of the Act:

- Competitions in which prizes are offered for the forecast of the result of a future event;

- Competitions in which prizes are offered for forecasts of the result of a past event the result of which is not yet ascertained or not yet generally known;

- Any other competition in which success does not depend to a substantial degree on the exercise of skill.

Has anyone got any info on what I would need to do to ensure the legality of my society?

Cheers.
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

P.S.: I'm not a law expert - please use simple terms /images/graemlins/wink.gif thanks.