PDA

View Full Version : Chipco edge spot question

Vipsanius
10-12-2004, 03:12 PM
I'm looking at maybe getting some custom chips and haven't decided between clay (trking or pokerchips.com) or ceramic (chipco)

one thing that's bugging me about Chipco is that just about every rendering I've seen of their chips have had edge spots that don't match up with the surface graphics

now, is that how they turn out or are those just bad renderings??

toots
10-12-2004, 03:16 PM
That's how they turn out.

Clay chip edge spots are actual inserts of differently colored material. The Chipco edge markings are just printed on strips that are bonded to the edge of the chips. Likewise, the markings on the faces of the chip are printed on material that's also bonded to the chip. The two don't seem to line up in any samples I've ever seen.

TabascoJRC
10-12-2004, 03:18 PM
They will never line up, thats just the way it is with chipcos. For that reason I purposely misaligned them in my renderings. But if you look at any real photos you will see the same result.
-Jeremy

Vipsanius
10-12-2004, 03:25 PM
hmmm...yeah, I thought I had seen actual chips w/ the misaligned edge spots

ok well thanks for the info...that'll give me something to think about there

if I do go with them, I'll probably use edge spots that basically have little or nothing to do w/ the surface graphic

are there any limitations to the edge stip design other than the obvious dimension and color palate they use?

TabascoJRC
10-12-2004, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

are there any limitations to the edge stip design other than the obvious dimension and color palate they use?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, apparently gradients can only change from left to right and right to left not up and down, meaning if you lay the chip flat and look at the edge the top can't be a differnt color than anywhere below it.

Odd since i know you can print text on the edge, but that's the way it was explained to me.

TenPercenter
10-12-2004, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, apparently gradients can only change from left to right and right to left not up and down, meaning if you lay the chip flat and look at the edge the top can't be a differnt color than anywhere below it.

Odd since i know you can print text on the edge, but that's the way it was explained to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would mean that they print the edges as a huge "Sheet" and then press them onto the chip edges as slices, or slice the sheet, and apply the slices, etc. Makes sense. Also makes sense that the text that are sometimes on the edges are not centered fron edge to edge.

Ten

Spook
10-12-2004, 07:06 PM
How do the front and backs of chipco chips match up?

TenPercenter
10-12-2004, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How do the front and backs of chipco chips match up?

[/ QUOTE ]

My customs are perfectly aligned "same" when flipped. If you flip the coin top to bottom, the image is aligned the same way when you get to the other side. Chipco samples are the same.

Ten