PDA

View Full Version : please help

ncskiier
10-12-2004, 02:41 PM
I am getting an insane amount of pop-ups since I've started playing online and frequenting sites like this. What is the best remedy. I am currently running I hate popups and a toolbar with a blocker. I have also quit playing online for now. Any ideas? Thanx!

gmunny
10-12-2004, 02:45 PM
I would try a different pop up blocker. Try Cnet.com or ZDnet.com for some free ones. Also, I would post this in the internet forum, those guys seem to know a lot about the latest stuff.
G$

Lumpy
10-12-2004, 03:12 PM
Download and run Ad-aware. You most likely have some sort of annoying spyware making a home on your pc.

MSPatton
10-12-2004, 03:27 PM
If you are running Windows XP update to SP2

It's built in and awesome!

ncskiier
10-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Thanks Patton. How do I do that? I am a computer moron.

pukenpete
10-12-2004, 05:37 PM
Uh, SP2 isn't all it's cracked up to be. It works great as a pop-up blocker but there are some annoyances so far.

http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us

Most likely the cause of your problems is the pop-up blocker itself. A lot of these free blockers do the opposite and will also try to sell you the "full" version of their software. I believe a least one of those companies has been prosecuted for extortion. Get rid of the blocker and run adaware. If it's still bad, then get SP2.

MSPatton
10-12-2004, 05:38 PM
If you have broadband (the update is huge!)
In Internet Explorer got to Tools>>>Windows Update
Follow directions....Wait a long time to finish
even on high speed access

Fins
10-12-2004, 05:46 PM
Definitely make sure you get rid of spyware as that could be the whole problem (use ad-ware, spybot etc...).

I've had great luck with the google toolbar pop-up blocker (it's all I run).

I'd definitely post in the online forum.

- Fins

jmark
10-12-2004, 06:34 PM
It sounds like you're infected with something. Here's what you should do:

1. Uninstall whatever popup blockers you already installed as well as any file sharing programs you might be using, those have tons of spyware.

2. Download and install:

Adaware
Spyware Blaster
Spybot Search and Destroy
AVG antivirus (if you don't have a virus program already)

Make sure you download all the updates for them as well and then run them.

3. Then make sure you have all the latest windows updates, including service pack 2 (if you're running XP). Click the start button and click on windows update. Or goto www.windowsupdate.com. (http://www.windowsupdate.com.) If you have MS office, goto www.officeupdate.com (http://www.officeupdate.com)

4. Install mozilla firefox and use that instead of Internet Explorer, it's much safer in my opinion.

5. Change all the passwords to your poker sites and neteller / banks just in case you got a keylogger virus.

One warning: make sure you've done 2 before you do 3, or you could screw up your system.

Good luck

hoterdoc
10-12-2004, 08:16 PM
get an apple!!