PDA

View Full Version : 110 BBs in 4 hours, 240 hands after reading SSH first time

jayrutz2
10-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Playing Party 2-4 2 tables after reading the book through the first time...I'm a believer

K

TwoShedsJackson
10-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Just make sure you apportion the blame during the downswing to SSH too, in the interests of fairness and all.

laja
10-12-2004, 02:30 PM
So many people over emphasize their short term. I have seen posts on players saying, "do I have a poker knowledge overload? I was doing so well but now it seems like I am trying to hard to use everything I." In poker winning players basicaly just "shave" bets out of hands, the MAJORITY of money won or lost has nothing to do with how you play if you are playing somewhat reasonable. The person above is most likely seeing a pattern that isn't that and maybe a little placebo affect is helping out^^;; I am not criticizing your good streak as I am sure you are well better than the other players but just be careful to not attribute your success to any one thing like the book or skill. This will help your mindset for when a bad streak does come, and you will then not question your abilities.

bisonbison
10-12-2004, 02:33 PM
Lisa, I want to buy your rock.

Ponks
10-12-2004, 03:27 PM
Your sample size is insufficient!

Ponks

jayrutz2
10-12-2004, 03:51 PM
I understand and appreciate your advice. Having said that, a lot of SSH helped to re-enforce things I either knew, or knew sub-conciously. Also, it was enlightening on how to play drawing hands, something which I believe was a serious leak in my game previously.

I am sure I will have a down streak, but I really posted to counter what I felt was a lot of hard criticism of what I think is a fine book.

jayrutz2
10-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Hey Illinois, I went to Northwestern and they teach stats too. The book has made my game much stronger, I now know that after winning another 70 or so BBs this week in probably about 1500 - 2000 hands

K

Cosimo
10-12-2004, 04:35 PM
True and False. It's easy to look back and say "I had a great run of hands," or "my god I got sucked out on a lot."

But I've seen my results skyrocket since I pushed my aggressiveness up and started playing smarter. I don't have enough hands in, but it feels like I'm winning more often.

Blarg
10-12-2004, 05:47 PM
I gotta go with the "four hours is an insufficient sample size" crowd on this one.

Rah
10-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Wow if I can boost my winrate to 25 bb/100, maybe I should read that book one more time.

edfurlong
10-12-2004, 06:10 PM
That's pretty close to the ammount I lost in this time period, so its not that ed's book is good, it's that I suck. Pay the electric on me for a month or two.

Ponks
10-12-2004, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
True and False. It's easy to look back and say "I had a great run of hands," or "my god I got sucked out on a lot."

But I've seen my results skyrocket since I pushed my aggressiveness up and started playing smarter. I don't have enough hands in, but it feels like I'm winning more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. I think it's good to always look to improve your game and everything. I just think people should avoid getting into the habit of thinking that just because they made a change to their game or read a book that they should notice a huge or immediate change in winrate. I'm not really sure how to explain this well to be honest, but thinking like this can reaffirm some bad plays that you make as well. If you're making a lot of changes to your game in a short period of time I'd suggest posting a lot of hands up on the boards while you do so.

Goodluck!

FWIW, playing smart rocks, but I wouldn't let your feelings control you. Next bad run of cards you have you'll be completely second guessing yourself. It feels even better to be making the right plays then to feel like you are winning to me.

Ponks

AncientPC
10-12-2004, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow if I can boost my winrate to 25 bb/100, maybe I should read that book one more time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's nothing, I had a streak of 567 BB/100 for 5 hands once.

Blarg
10-12-2004, 08:39 PM
heheh

Cosimo
10-13-2004, 12:23 AM
yeah, OK, four hours is insufficient.

[ QUOTE ]
I just think people should avoid getting into the habit of thinking that just because they made a change to their game or read a book that they should notice a huge or immediate change in winrate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I experienced a "sudden" increase in winrate after my second readthrough. Actually, halfway through the second readthrough. And "sudden" was about 3000 hands, which is a fairly damn quick shift.