PDA

View Full Version : Top Pair Weak Kicker, Flush Draw

NegativeEV
10-12-2004, 11:44 AM
$55 Party SnG; full table; no reads; blinds are 10/15

Early in tourney and all stacks are ~ T1000. Hero posts BB of T15 and is dealt Q /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif. UTG+1 calls, MP Calls, MP2 Calls, SB Calls.

Flop: J /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, Hero Checks, UTG+1 bets T50, MP Calls T50, MP2 Calls T50, SB folds.

Pot is T75 and there is T150 on the table this round- hero's action?

Phill S
10-12-2004, 11:57 AM
id pot it.

perhaps half pot if you dont feel the hand.

you have 3rd nut flush draw, 9 outs, top pair mid kicker (may win unimproved) 3 Qs, and perhaps two Js if a high PP is out (UTG+1 is likely candidate).

you cant be drawing dead, you have a fair amount of fold equity, you may be winning now anyway. if raised id be playing this for the whole stack. if called depending on the turn im either all in (big pot to win now if youve hit) or half potting it (put on the pressure, again fold equity and hand value but not over extend yourself). in theory you hit one of the ways above by the river over 50% of the time (53%? i dont have my out chart to hand). if not, its your own judgment. ultimately this hand is a drawing hand, so what will it cost to see the showdown, do you even want to pay it? this part is much more individual.

Phill

NegativeEV
10-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Thanks Phill. What do you think of check-raising all in on the flop rather than a pot bet. I did this with the thought that the T225 is big enough that I'm happy to take the pot down now, and, if I'm called, I have a hand that wants to see the final two cards. I don't want to get pushed out on the turn if I miss, so I figured I'd maximize folding equity and ensure that I see both cards if I'm called.

Whatdya think?

betgo
10-12-2004, 03:01 PM
I would check raise allin. Your draw loses value on the turn. When you consider pot odds, it would be hard for it to be a really bad gamble if you are called.

Marcotte
10-12-2004, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

you cant be drawing dead, you have a fair amount of fold equity, you may be winning now anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has three opponents after SB folds. If they held the following hands, I think he's drawing dead, no?

A /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Q /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif

Of course, it's quite unlikely this is the case, but I couldn't resist figuring out which combination would have him drawing dead.

NegativeEV
10-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Nice work. Now you're obligated. What would your play be in the hand?

lastchance
10-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Hero has to raise here. Get people to pay money to a hand with a lot of equity. Hero can either push or bet about 150-200.