PDA

View Full Version : e-mail switch?

ThaSaltCracka
10-12-2004, 11:33 AM
Those of you who use gmail, is it worth it for me to switch my e-mail over to that? I currently use hotmail and have no complaints.

wacki
10-12-2004, 12:31 PM
PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you an invite.

Google is good. They use DSPAM, the best spam filter, 1 gig of space, and are always improving it.

Plus you can search your e-mails with google!

namknils
10-12-2004, 12:46 PM
I use it now, and love it. Sometimes it acts up, but I think they'll get it all straightened out and it will take off. I would definately recommend it (I have no invites though).

ThaSaltCracka
10-12-2004, 12:52 PM
Thanks guys, one of my buddies sent me an invite and I am debating switching over. I probably will, I just don't want to import all my addresses and [censored].

Thanks for the offer Wacki.

wacki
10-12-2004, 01:00 PM
You can import address books from Outlook, Hotmail, Yahoo!, orkut and other services to your Gmail account by uploading CSV (comma separated values) files.

To import contacts to Gmail:

1. Create a custom CSV file or export the address book from your other webmail provider or email client as a CSV file.
2. Log into Gmail and click 'Contacts' on the left side of the page. The Contacts list will open in a new window.
3. Click 'Import Contacts.'
4. Click 'Browse' and locate the CSV file you wish to upload from your computer.
5. Select the file and click 'Import Contacts.' After successfully uploading the document, a dialogue box displays the number of new entries that were added to your Contacts list.

Gmail only imports contacts that contain email addresses. If some entries aren't included in your Contacts list, Gmail will tell you why these entries were left out.

Because Gmail does not offer group or distribution list functionality at this time, this information won't be transferred from other address books into your Gmail Contacts list.

Please note that if you import information about a contact that matches the email address of an existing entry, only the most-recently uploaded version of that entry will remain in your Gmail Contacts list.

More information:

* How to export CSV files
* How to create (or alter) a CSV file

wacki
10-12-2004, 01:24 PM
You can use excel to create a csv file if hotmail can't export addresses into one. Just highlight all addresses, copy and paste into excel.

ThaSaltCracka
10-12-2004, 01:29 PM
thanks man, will do tonight, I am gonna have to remember to set my hotmail to auto forward all my e-mails to my new address.

MelchyBeau
10-12-2004, 01:49 PM
anyone got an extra invite? I'd much appreciate it

Melch