PDA

View Full Version : PLO Hi Hand...Good play or fishery?

03-20-2002, 06:36 AM
Playing pot limit Omaha Hi on Paradise or the first time. I have played this game before in my home game for smaller stakes and want to know if I played this hand properly so here goes. The blinds are 50 cents and a dollar, and my stack is $100 (max buy-in for the table). This is my second hand at the table, and my only read is that there seems to be lots of preflop raising and calling; the game is 4-handed. I am in the BB with KhKs10hJd. UTG (Slego) calls $1, button folds and SB (timidity) makes his usual raise to $2.50. I call as does Slego. Anyone advocate a big raise here? I usually like to see flop cheaply in these games, is this correct? Anyway, flop comes 8d-5s-9s. Timidity bets 5.50, we both call. Is nut straght draw enuf to call here or is it better to wait for a better spot. I thought it was worth a call. Turn comes the Kd. Now I have top set and the nut str8 draw. Check to me, I bet $14. Slego now raises to $67.50. Timidity folds, I think and call. Is this right when obviously Slego flopped the nuts? I feel my turn bet may have been wrong, but this call can't be as and 7 or Q (non spade) gives me the nuts and a board pair makes me a monster. River comes the beutiful Qc giving me the nuts. I bet all in for my last $24 and he calls and mucks when I show. He of course had 67 and flopped the nuts (as the hand history pointed out). All comments appreciated, as I am new and trying to learn this game.

Jeff

03-20-2002, 06:58 AM
If he holds 76 as he did, you have 17 outs with 42 unknown cards on turn, so you are a 3:2 dog here. There are exactly $100 in the pot and a call costs $53.5, so you get 2:1 pot odds (plus some implied odds if you figure he would have paid you off with a higher str8) and have a clear call.

cu

Ignatius

03-20-2002, 07:33 AM
But would u bet the turn here or check-call?

Jeff

03-20-2002, 11:17 AM
I think you have to bet the turn here as he could have made the flop bet with a lot of hands (maybe only an overpair if he thinks a bet would take the pot) and in all cases except exactly 76 you are ahead now and cannot afford giving free cards as he could easily be in there with aces and/or the nut flush draw. If you get raised, as it happend, you still have enough outs (17 or 15 if he has a backup flush draw) to call.

The only thing in the hand, I might have played differently, is the preflop call: You have position on the raiser with a premium hand (considering the game is only 4-handed) which plays very well heads-up - except for the 3% of the times when he holds aces, you figure to be a solid favorite here.

I probably would have raised the pot to get UTG out and then bet any flop w/o an ace if he checks to me. OTOH, I never played in a PLO cache game (only tourneys), so take this advice for what its worth ...

cu

Ignatius

03-22-2002, 04:03 AM
A fold on the flop would have been much better. You have only 6 cards to make the nuts on the turn as the flush draw cancels two of your straight cards. If you draw to 6 cards in this game you are asking to get broke.

Having called the flop, I don't dislike your bet on the turn as the flop bettor may also have a set or flush draw and getting the third player to fold at this point is key. Once the king comes off you now have 15 wins (about 30%), so calling his bet isn't out of line. The money left is also quite important as you want to be able to get called if a good card comes. You didn't have much left, so essentially you are calling $90 on the turn since you will need to call the last $24 most of the time unless you are 100% sure he flopped the joint.

Good luck.