PDA

View Full Version : Help with SNG tracker excel spreadsheet

young nut
10-12-2004, 10:49 AM
I am trying to put together a spreadsheet for tracking my SNG progress. I know most of the basic forumulas in excel, but there is one forumula I cannot find for the certain use I need.

I am trying to reference a value from a payout table. For example, the payouts for a 5+1 SNG are 1-25 2-15 3-10 4...10-0

In my chart I have a column that tells me what place I finished in the sit and go. But I need a forumula that recognizes that place and puts a value for it in the next column. So I guess it would be a forumula that references the payout structure and puts a value in that corresponds to my finishing place.

I appreciate the help with this, I realize I have much to learn about excel. Thanks in advance for the help.

Marcotte
10-12-2004, 11:25 AM
Search the forum for "spreadsheet" posts by Aleo Magus and Jurollo. They (and others) put together a very nice tracking spreadsheet and posted a link to a download (tilthappens.com I think).

To answer your question though, look at the vlookup function in Excel help.

Suppose you have your place of finish (1,2,3 etc.) in cell A1, and you have the buy-in in cell B1. Elsewhere on the sheet you need to set up a table with the buy-in in the first column, the 1st place prize in the second column, 2nd prize in the 3rd etc. down to the 10th place prize in the 11th column. (Actually, you don't need to fill out all eleven columns, but the cells need to be blank at least.)

Now go back to cell C1 and enter '=vlookup(B1,<table range>, A1+1,0)'
where <table range> is the range of the prize structure table (it must be 11 columns wide or you will get error messages).

Hope this helps.

Jurollo
10-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Speaking of which, I might repost a less buggy version that allows 10K entries pretty soon, the file is bigger but for those who want it, it will be good. Actually thinking of doing a lot of poker related things, like starting a hand history site, places for 2+2'ers to share auto-rate exports for pokertracker, and what have you, run some SNG series of 7 with rankings, etc. Might need some quick help here and there, as of now I am just looking for a cheap/effective host, so any suggestions on material I should use on the site, ideas, host info would be welcome. Might actually make this a seperate post.

young nut
10-12-2004, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the help.

I have seen the spreadsheet on tilthappens.com, but I wanted to make a more simplified version. I will try to figure out the vlookup function.

Costanza
10-13-2004, 03:08 AM
You can nest "if" statements in Excel. The single table SnG's I've seen use a 50/30/20 scheme to pay positions. So it would go something like this:

Say cell A1=total prize pool and A2=your finishing position

If(A2=1,A1*.5,if(A2=2,A1*.3,if(A2=3,A1*.2,0)))

At least I think that's what you're asking...

burningyen
10-13-2004, 10:47 AM
Here's a link to a thread where I posted my simplified spreadsheet (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=1098992 &Forum=All_Forums&Words=spreadsheet&Searchpage=0&L imit=25&Main=1098992&Search=true&where=bodysub&Nam e=12488&daterange=1&newerval=&newertype=w&olderval =0&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post1098992). It might be just what you're looking for, or close to it.

Mez
10-13-2004, 10:50 AM
you need to use a VLookup - it finds a value in the leftmost column of a table and returns another value in the same row of that table.

I'm sure that explanation makes no sense. If you want PM me, send me your spreadsheet and I'll put the formulas you need into it.