PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with Excel

young nut
10-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Hola chicos,

I am trying to put together a spreadsheet for tracking my SNG progress. I know most of the basic forumulas in excel, but there is one forumula I cannot find for the certain use I need.

I am trying to reference a value from a payout table. For example, the payouts for a 5+1 SNG are 1-25 2-15 3-10 4...10-0

In my chart I have a column that tells me what place I finished in the sit and go. But I need a forumula that recognizes that place and puts a value for it in the next column. So I guess it would be a forumula that references the payout structure and puts a value in that corresponds to my finishing place.

I appreciate the help with this, I realize I have much to learn about excel. Thanks in advance for the help.

ThaSaltCracka
10-12-2004, 10:56 AM
in case you are curious, Aleo Mageus has created an excel spreadsheet for his SnG progress, and I believe anyone can download it from him. Go look in the One Table Tournament forum for his spreadsheet.

bwana devil
10-12-2004, 12:46 PM
=IF(A1=1,25,IF(A1=2,15,IF(A1=3,10,)))

A1 cell holds the place you finished. change the cell number accordingly.

CrazyEyez
10-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Use "vlookup."

First create a table with the places/payouts. For example:
A1:A10 lists the finishing position (1, 2, 3, etc).
B1:B10 lists the payouts ($25, $15, $10, etc).

Now in cell D1, type the place you finished for a particular tourney, like 3 (3rd). Now for the cell where you want the payout value to populate, here's your formula:

=vlookup(D1,A1:B10,2,false)

It's much easier to make adjustments using this format rather than "if" statements. Also, you can easily make multiple grids for multiple SNG buy-in amounts.

If you want, I can do an actual example and email it to you. PM me with your address if interested.

Dynasty
10-12-2004, 11:09 PM
How dare you bump this Excel thread to the top whle the Red Sox - Yankees game is going on. /images/graemlins/blush.gif