PDA

View Full Version : short stacked with blinds coming up.

hhboy77
10-12-2004, 04:29 AM
i'm sure everyone on the board has been in this situation many times before.

let's say your table is five or six handed and you have 3.5x the blind. you are second from utg and utg folds. you are moving with either this hand or the next so you have a chance of stealing the blinds (right?).

what hand do you need to push now as opposed to wait for the next hand and hope for something better? by moving now, even with a slightly below average hand, you have the advantage of one player already having folded and not looking quite as desperate as if you'd moved on your last hand before the blinds chewed your stack in half.

how do you guys play it, assuming a somewhat typical table.

Burno
10-12-2004, 06:28 AM
In this situation I am moving in with any pair, any two cards 10 or above, any ace and maybe any decent K or Q. Depending on who is in the blind and my table image I may move in with any two.

Edited b/c I thought it said 2.5 BB not 3.5BB

rachelwxm
10-12-2004, 12:17 PM
hhboy77,
seems you know the right cards to push UTG with 3.5bb. Care to share? I feel like I am calling too much all in from bb when I have 3.5bb left. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

dogsballs
10-12-2004, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel like I am calling too much all in from bb when I have 3.5bb left

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. Instead, try betting all-in on the next hand with A2C with your 3.5BB.

rachelwxm
10-12-2004, 03:54 PM
any ace is clearly a push from UTG or UTG+1 when I am 3.5bb, but generally the problem is that I fold 64o UTG+1 and next hand I fold 96o and I then called allin from sb with T6o since once blinds passed by I only have 2bb left. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TheDrone
10-12-2004, 03:59 PM
I'm also going to assume there are at least 5 players left to make the answer easier. J7s+, Q8o+, 87s+, 98o+. I will fold more hands than this UTG+1 if the blinds are shortstacked or close to it when I'm UTG.

dogsballs
10-12-2004, 09:15 PM
If my stack won't be scary after the blind passes, I've been leaning towards pushing with anything much more than a random hand UTG . So if I have 3 BB, I'll push a good Q or decent K UTG. Many of the times you do get called will be by relatively weak hands from the BB. Even 6 or 7 handed, I seem to either take it down immediately a lot or get HU with a tenacious BB. depends on your image and opps of course.

hhboy77
10-13-2004, 04:30 AM
now i know why people say i'm a maniac. utg with 3.5x, i'm moving with any 2 at a typical table. i'm still formulating a strategy for utg+1, but it's definitely not as tight as you guys.

rachelwxm
10-13-2004, 11:42 AM
well, maybe that explains why you have 25% ROI at 100 table while I am struggling at low levels. /images/graemlins/cool.gif