PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with Cold Cards

07-28-2001, 12:38 AM
I know everyone has to go through this if you play for awhile--but it is so frustrating. I play micro-limit Texas Hold'em on Paradise. I have been doing very well for the last few weeks. (Averaging about 6.5BB's/hour over about a 100hrs--I know that could be a statistical anomaly because of the short number of hours).

In the last week I have barely caught any acceptable starting hands. When I do make a good hand, it invariably is second best--nut flush against straight flush, etc.

I'm already playing pretty tight--should I tighten up more? I notice that my opponents are starting to disrespect my play and run over me. I'm pretty aggressive if I hit a hand, lately it is costing me, should I alter this--or trust that the cards will come back around?

Any advice from you more experienced players would be appreciated.

Darren

07-28-2001, 11:46 PM
"I know that could be a statistical anomaly because of the short number of hours)."

It's virtually gauranteed this is/was a statistical anomaly. There are no "could's" about it.

You cannot think of poker in terms of one week, when even months can be a mere blink of an eye statistically speaking. This is not meant to be discouraging. I view poker as a game of stalking. Sometimes your "cup runneth over". Other times (most times), you must wait patiently ready to seize the moment when opportunity presents itself. One thing's for sure. Eventually the strong thrive while the weak get slaughtered. Good luck.

08-05-2001, 10:55 AM
After suffering a terrible losing streak, I began to play tighter and also folded more than usual after the flop. Soon a beagn to rack up many small wins and a couple small losses. The most important thing though was that I regained my confidence and now I'm back in the Saddle! Good luck.

MD

*There is an incredible post on this subject in medium stakes section titled "the myth of running bad"