PDA

View Full Version : AQo - what'd i do wrong here?

housenuts
10-12-2004, 01:38 AM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (8 handed)

UTG (t1610)
UTG+1 (t1470)
MP1 (t1420)
MP2 (t1440)
CO (t1610)
Hero (t1470)
SB (t2980)
BB (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls t20, MP2 folds, CO calls t20, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t100</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls t80, CO folds.

Flop: (t250) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets t20</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t160</font>, MP1 calls t140.

Turn: (t570) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets t60</font>, Hero calls t60.

River: (t690) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets t200</font>, Hero calls t200.

Final Pot: t1090
<font color="green">Main Pot: t1090 (t1090), between MP1 and Hero.</font>

Did I do anything wrong here?

housenuts
10-12-2004, 01:39 AM
actually i probably should have raised to the size of the pot on the flop. so say i did that, what if it proceeded like it did the rest of the hand?

lastchance
10-12-2004, 01:42 AM
I might have raised the flop bet if I thought he was on a flush draw. But if your raised the size of the pot on the flop, then, the only questionable play is raising with AQ. And you have position with AQ.

housenuts
10-12-2004, 01:46 AM
AQ is not a hand i usually raise with but i was on the button and i wanted to get some limpers out. i had to figure to have the best hand (unless the blinds had something big) at that point.

gotham
10-12-2004, 01:59 AM
Like you said, the bet on the flop should have been bigger - you have 2nd best kicker to top pair and want to make the flush draw expensive.

Beyond that, I don't like the flat call on the turn. Again, you have TP, Q kicker and the turn was a non-diamond so with one card to go, you want to force out a flush draw. The undersized bet from the villain smells like a semi-bluff to me so I would have reraised all-in at this point.

The ONLY reason I wouldn't push is if I was prepared to fold to a big bet on the river if 3rd diamond hit. But at that point, you would have been so shortstacked that I still like a re-raise all-in on the turn.

Gramps
10-12-2004, 04:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did I do anything wrong here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you're up against a bunch of loose players who will pay you off with marginal hands postflop, AQ is not the best hand to invest a lot of $$ in PF IMO. I'd probably just limp behind and play from there.

Looks like MP hit his flush. That Turn bet of his looks like a protective bet the way the sequence of betting had gone til then. A set/two pair hand would probably go for the C/R there (knowing you'll probably bet more than 60, but may just call MP's 60 bet). I'd make him pay an extra 240 or so to see that last card. It would be an odd bet by a hand that is ahead of you on the Turn. If he comes over the top of you on that bet...well...it's up to your judgment whether the mini-bet on the Turn was an attempt to induce a raise on your part from a hand that has you drawing thin/dead.

xerostar
10-12-2004, 04:58 AM
Like he said, I don't like the call on the turn. Either push or fold. He's betting 60 AFTER you raised to 160 on the flop? Either he's stupid or trying to pay cheap for another card. Push all in if you don't think he has two pair.

housenuts
10-12-2004, 05:15 AM
yeah i played this hand terrible. i think i raise on the button with AQ every time. because no one else raised i figure no one has AK, AA, KK, or QQ. Secondly, I'll have position for the rest of the hand.

It was the rest of the play that I don't like. My flop raise I don't know what I was thinking, I just threw it out there I guess.

On the turn I thought he was trying to sucker me for more money with a set of 5's of 8's.

In the end he showed K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for the flush.

ReDeYES88
10-12-2004, 08:40 AM
as the others have noted, calling behind his turn and river bets did nothing to help you further define his hand. take all the money that you spent on the turn and river and bet it right up front on the flop. same investment, but i bet different results (when you add fold equity).

housenuts
10-12-2004, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
as the others have noted, calling behind his turn and river bets did nothing to help you further define his hand. take all the money that you spent on the turn and river and bet it right up front on the flop. same investment, but i bet different results (when you add fold equity).

[/ QUOTE ]

i like that thinking. what do i do if he calls that flop bet? ya i know if he's on a flush draw he's not getting proper odds to call, and i earn from his mistake, but nonetheless how should i proceed with it on the turn now? can i still think he's on a flush draw if he makes such a big call?

TheDrone
10-12-2004, 03:41 PM
It's harder to put the guy on a hand if you do not know anything about his playing style. If you make a pot-sized raise (or larger) on the flop and he flat calls, I think a set is much more likely than a flush draw. How you proceed on the turn and river depends on his action. I would fold to a large bet, call a small bet, and check after a check. Some people will say that checking through is weak tight, but after the called flop bet I am not too thrilled about my top pair. I would play it more aggressive (e.g. push the turn) if I knew that the villain is loose.