PDA

View Full Version : My first No Limit Tournament

03-18-2002, 01:54 PM
I played in my first no-limit tournament ($6 buy-in at Paradise) and I actually won it. I felt that I played a very solid no-limit game, although there were 3 hands that stood out that I definitely questioned myself on. I was hoping to get some thoughts on my play.

Here are the hands:

Hand #1:

2nd round (10/20 blinds), I have about T1100 (everyone starts with T1000). I get dealt TT in early/mid position (4th to act maybe?) and triple the blind with my raise after all fold to me. I get called by the resident calling station (CS) (who’s two off of the button and sitting with about T2000) as well as the BB, who has about T1000.

Flop comes 9 4 3 rainbow.

180 in the pot. BB checks, I bet 100. (too small? What’s a good bet here and why?)

CS calls, BB folds.

Turn comes J, opening a flush draw. Board 9 4 3 J (with a flush draw)

I bet another 100. (too small? I’m afraid of getting trapped with a big bet, even though CS is a fairly passive player.)

CS calls.

River blanks off, but I check anyway. CS bets T20 (????) so I call. He shows A5 for a busted gut shot straight.

Ok, I’ll never know why CS didn’t either check or make a very large bet, but that’s his business.

My main question here is if my betting amounts were correct on each round if not, why not? Also, should I have come out firing on each round? How about the river, should I have bet there?

Theoretical question: what if CS had made a very large bet on the river, perhaps the size of the pot, or bigger? I know I would of dropped my tens, but would dropping the tens here be the correct thing to do? I know the answer is probably “depends on your opponent” and CS was definitely passive, any aggression coming from him would of meant trouble. However, what if CS was more of a maniac and he still made that big bet?

------

Hand 2:

5th round or so, blinds are at about 50/100. I have about T1500 and am about 4th place in chips, three players have busted out of the 10 player table. I get dealt KJs and limp in early/mid position. I realize this is a very speculative hand and I plan on folding it to any substantial late position raise, and also realize if I don’t flop big, its history.

That being said, our old friend Calling Station (CS) is in the hand as well, as well as on other mid-late position limper. CS has about T3400 (his calls have been paying off) the other two have about T900 a piece.

Flop comes:

K Q 8

With the Queen in my suit. I am first to act and I bet the pot.

One fold, CS calls, BB folds.

Turn is a blank

I bet the pot again. CS calls

River is another low card, I believe there is a possible, raggedy, low straight possible, but I’m not too worried about it. I’m worried CS may have caught 2 pair somewhere down the line, so I check the river.

He checks it back, I open up, he mucks.

----------

3rd hand.

We’re in round 5 or so. Blinds @ about 50/100, I have about T1700, and Dangerous Player (DP) has about T1200 or so. By the way, dangerous as in good, he definitely has a clue.

I’m in the small blind with 77 and DP (who’s in the cutoff) doubles the blind. I flat call, BB mucks. Heads up, flop comes:

7 9 J with a flush draw

I check, going for the BIG check raise, DP checks behind me. I know I screwed up big by checking here, too many draws out to get me, and I have the smallest set of them all.

Turn comes J. Board:

7 9 J J with a flush draw

I have the boat. There is about T300 in the pot, and I come out overbetting the pot with about T400. DP thinks and thinks, then mucks.

I’m pretty sure I fucked this one up. I think it’s a question here of only getting called/raised by a better hand. At the time, I was hoping I might get some action from a J or an overpair, but he would of bet those on the flop. The bet being so large, I was also hoping he might put me on a bluff (although my table image doesn’t lend to bluffing) and call or re-raise.

So, what should I have done? I think checking again is out of the question. With a bet as large as mine, only a bigger full house will give me action, so how large should my bet have been? Half the pot? Just T100?

Thoughts here are appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance

- Spencer Smith

03-18-2002, 06:33 PM
Betting in a No Limit game depends on the table of course. The bets/raises are dictated by your particular table OR the reputation of the players at your table, however you should be very wary of what kind of bets your table will call/raise/fold. Once you can an idea of that you can either set your own standard OR be passive-aggressive in your betting.

(I think)

Hand #1 and #2

CS sucks, which you already know, he could have easily re-raised you to fold. Bottom line, you want to get this guys heads up as often as possible, however just be wary of any Ace, because the a-hole plays AX.

Hand #3

Congrats on a hand well played (by DS). Be glad he wasn't holding a jack.

03-18-2002, 09:02 PM
Glad he wasn't holding a Jack? I wanted him to be holding a Jack, I had a full house.

03-18-2002, 11:48 PM
I don't have much NL experience either, anyway here are my 2c:

Hand #1

> 180 in the pot. BB checks, I bet 100.

Given your preflop raise, you figure to be up against 2 or 3 overcards to your tens, so IMO you should try to take it down on the flop with a pot sized bet of about 200. This would also allow you to go all in without overbetting the pot too much when a safe card comes on turn, provided that you are confident that CS would always call a pot sized flop bet with a single pair or a draw.

Hand #2

good, straightforward play and a nice pot for an off-the-mill top pair.

Hand #3

> I check, going for the BIG check raise, DP checks behind me. I know I screwed up big by checking here, too many draws out to get me, and I have the smallest set of them all.

I don't think that you've made a mistake here - your hand is almost certainly best and you can risk a free card here esp. as he probably would have bet a str8 draw anyway.

> I have the boat. There is about T300 in the pot, and I come out overbetting the pot with about T400.

I don't like your overbet here after checking the flop. It just screams "missed check-raise" esp. since the 2nd jack cannot possibly have improved any hand that wouldn't have been worth a bet on the flop. (btw: given the blinds, shouldn't there have been 500 in the pot?)

Maybe a smaller bet (e.g. 1/2 pot) would make him play back at you, but I doubt that he would risk his stack to fight over a nothing-pot without some kind of hand. OTOH you can now easily afford to give a free card as he would certainly bet any hand that could improve to a higher full house if checked to. So I would check and hope that he either makes a move on me or catches up a bit on the river.

cu

Ignatius

03-20-2002, 05:52 PM
Glad he wasn't holding a Jack? I wanted him to be holding a Jack, I had a full house.

Give Me a jack in that game then.....

You're not broke are you?

no matter where you're from

777JJ does NOT beat JJJ77

/images/smile.gif