PDA

View Full Version : Suited junk in the BB, changing directions on the turn.

BigEndian
10-12-2004, 12:11 AM
I'm curious what others think of my turn bet and why it is or isn't the best play.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: BigEndian is BB with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BigEndian checks.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BigEndian checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, BigEndian calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: (3.66 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BigEndian bets</font>...

- Jim

pokerkai
10-12-2004, 01:12 AM
If CO is the type to auto bet last position, i really like this play.

I find myself leaning towards this sort of play whenever Im in a small pot with a small flush...I think its out of a desire not to dump my flush given very close odds.

AdamL
10-12-2004, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If CO is the type to auto bet last position, i really like this play.

I find myself leaning towards this sort of play whenever Im in a small pot with a small flush...I think its out of a desire not to dump my flush given very close odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you check-call, you might get a check-raise in on the river if you make your hand... that helps make up the close odds a little.

Richard Berg
10-12-2004, 02:10 AM
I think this bet is a must.

- There's a decent chance you're way ahead of CO's KJ/images/graemlins/spade.gif or A/images/graemlins/diamond.gifT/images/graemlins/club.gif or A6/images/graemlins/heart.gif or 55 or a position bet with nothing or whatever. It's true that some hands you currently beat could make for a messy river, e.g. JT/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, but that's poker out of position for you. Along with your 17 possible outs + trapped caller, you're foremost betting for value.
- Even if the 7 completed a draw that beats your low pair / gutshot draws, you have a strong redraw. That means you don't fear a raise (especially if UTG+1 comes along), as your hand can be auto-dumped on a river blank.
- The likely bettor is to your right, so checkraising doesn't look good. You don't mind a loose caller, but he probably won't call 2, and whiffing might be a mathematical catastrophe.
- The board is scary and the betting timid; you might pick up the pot right here.

Richard Berg
10-12-2004, 02:12 AM
Close odds? Please tell me nobody is folding this turn.

(I've been away from poker; maybe my monster-detector is broken.)

BigEndian
10-12-2004, 08:43 AM
I don't know if it's a must but I agree in general with your analysis. The only thing you left out that really made me make this bet is that it puts enormous pressure on the player in the middle if they want to continue.

When the 7 comes I'm easily ahead of the odds being layed in most situations and could easily be against two players who have nothing at all or as little as an 8. So I bet to try to take the lead and see if good things could happen.

- Jim

sthief09
10-12-2004, 09:34 AM
I know this isn't the point, but why didn't you bet the flop? Often enough you'll get it down to headsup, and occasionally take it down on the turn. Is it because it puts you in a must-bluff situation on the turn and river?

BigEndian
10-12-2004, 10:18 AM
That works too. No real reason for check-calling other than maybe looking to win a bigger pot - but that'd be on the subconsious level.

- Jim

sthief09
10-12-2004, 10:22 AM
- if you were going to check-call the river unimproved if it was headsup anyway, then your bet is great for obvious reasons. it's a win-win situation
- even if you weren't I still like the bet. UTG+1 check-called, showing extreme weakness. it's unlikely he has much of anything. the CO bet in last position. I think your bet will take this pot down often enough make up for the times you get raised or would've gotten a free card without the best hand.

Trix
10-12-2004, 10:23 AM
I like betting the flop.