PDA

View Full Version : Showing Cards

ALav10
10-12-2004, 12:01 AM
Hey all,

I am wondering about how to read an opponent who shows one of his cards to you. I saw two quite different situations and I've been trying to put them together. What do you think?:

Both NL ring games and river decisions. In the first hand, river puts three spades on board. MP is first to act and bets pretty big against the button who had been the aggressor. While button is contemplating a call MP shows one spade. The agressor laid down a set, and MP shows his other card: ten of diamonds for a busted straight draw.

Second hand puts [22A],Q,Q on board. BB has a duce, bet the turn, and bets river. LP raises allin, while BB is thinking, LP shows an Ace. After hand he turns over AQ.

Heres what I've been thinking. It seems that from these hands that its typical tell strategy: think the opposite of what your opponent wants you to think. Specifically, in the first hand, when the guy showed a scary card (spade), he was weak and wanted a fold. In the second hand, when he shows an Ace, relatively nonthreatening, he was strong.
Is it that simple? Or are these two hands not typical?

Adam

shant
10-12-2004, 03:05 AM
Since when are you allowed to show your cards while the hand is still live?

flawless_victory
10-12-2004, 03:40 AM
this is VERY typical... VERY... i dont get why people fall for this stuff...