PDA

View Full Version : Being Aggressive vs. Being Reckless

Sarge85
10-11-2004, 11:46 PM
Absolute Poker 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, MP calls, CO calls.

Shouldn't be any surpises here.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP folds.

Two Overs, Backdoor Draw - you think the pot is big enough here?

Turn: (6.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Did my flop action, dicate my turn action?

River: (8.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Reckless. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10.75 BB, between Hero and BB.</font>

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Sometime I swear it's like I'm playing hands for the first time.

Rubeskies
10-11-2004, 11:56 PM
I like your flop raise because you have outs and you want the free card on the turn. (Your backdoor straight draw isn't even worth an enitire out.)

However, you decided not to take the free card on the turn. Instead perhaps you bet to get a free showdown?

But then you decided not to take the free showdown. Somewhere you missed something.

My line is to raise the flop, take the free card on the turn and call a possible induced bluff on the river. If he checks the river after you take the free card he probably was on a draw which he missed and you can either take the free showdown or value bet your ace high if you think he'll call with a worse hand.

bdk3clash
10-12-2004, 12:01 AM
What backdoor draw do you have on the flop?

Holm Fries
10-12-2004, 12:01 AM
What are your reads on opponents? I like the flop raise as it at least buys you a free card. Interesting the MP1 folds the flop, but I wouldn't bet the turn. Calling a river bet I guess depends on your read.

Smasharoo
10-12-2004, 12:04 AM

10, Q, both not clubs.

I'd count it as about .000005 outs.

Holm Fries
10-12-2004, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Str8? That is why I don't understand the turn bet unimproved.

Nate tha' Great
10-12-2004, 12:05 AM
Raising the flop is okay if you think that your opponent may be betting a draw or a bluff. You should be especially inclined to raise if your table image is strong (meaning that you are more likely to push him off a better hand) or if it is weak-tight (meaning that he is more likely to be taking shots at you). However I think many players make too many of these raises.

By default betting the turn is probably correct. You charge a flush draw that way and may sometimes get him to fold a hand like 76 that was hoping to make two pair/trips. Again it depends on table image and the way that the opponent plays.

On the river, your opponent is unlikely to believe that the 6 helped you so at that point I give up and hope that he'll show down a busted draw. You should be more inclined to bet a scary river card like a Q or a club. Obviously you can also bet a card that pairs you.

donny5k
10-12-2004, 12:15 AM
You realize you're betting at a guy who cold-called a bet and raise on the flop. The original bettor folded. He has either a jack that isn't AJ or a flush draw. You don't fare well enough against this range to bet the turn. I don't think he's folding any better hand on the river.