PDA

View Full Version : Early tourney advertising budget

modaddy
10-11-2004, 11:25 PM
TPFAP (?) recommends some early advertising plays when the blinds are cheap. The benefits come both in future action, and also in the ocassional 'jackpot' here you're able to double up early due to holding an unexpected hand.

What specific types of plays are your favorites? Loose limps, loose raises, loose calls, or something else?

How much of your stack are you willing to spend on those plays?

Lately I've been experimenting with really loose limps, but the problem there is that you've got to play the flop extremely well to get away from marginal hands. If you think you're good but not great post-flop, should you just avoid these all together?

All advice greatly appreciated!

david050173
10-12-2004, 12:08 AM
First off are you playing with people that will notice? What are the chances you will be at a table with them later on?

fnord_too
10-12-2004, 03:04 PM
In the tournies I play (on line, $25 rebuys and $150-$200 non rebuys), I NEVER advertise.

I may get caught bluffing occasionally (but I always bluff with the belief that it is +EV that hand), and sometimes I limp with weak speculative hands in good position (but again, only if I think my implied odds are good enough to justify it). Also, I complete a lot from the small blind when the blinds are low and there are limpers. None of these are with the intent of showing down a crazy hand at the end to get action later. In these tournies, you will get plenty of action. Also, I don't want action most of the time in the late middle to end stages of a tourney, I just want to be able to steal blinds and pots.