PDA

View Full Version : Weird turn check, push all-in or check fold to river?

Unarmed
10-11-2004, 10:49 PM
I put Villain on a low PP, K10 up, or any ace after the PF call, hence the flop raise. I was ready to drop the hand until he checked the turn, which makes me think he has Ax and no pair, or a scared AQ. What's the best play in this scenario? Assume typical $5 buy-in calibre. (the type that would lay down a Q if he thought I had the K, even to a 1/3 pot all-in)

Also, I think that's officially the last time I raise JJ whenever I have a decent enough stack to play it for set value. Raising it PF just introduces too many tricky situations post flop.

5+0.50 PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (5 handed)

MP (t2490)
Hero (t1265)
SB (t4465)
BB (t3980)
UTG (t1300)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, SB calls t125, BB folds.

Flop: (t350) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets t200</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t550</font>, SB calls t350.

Turn: (t1450) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t565 (All-In)</font>

SixgunSam
10-11-2004, 11:28 PM
I think I would push on that check too. How I played that hand would be largely dependant on what I had seen that player do up till then. If it was a straight up player who bet top pair all the time and wouldnt release a hand, I would fold the flop. If it was a weak or loose player, I would play it like you did.

ChrisV
10-12-2004, 01:17 AM
You should do one of two things on the flop:

(1) Push all-in. This is right if you think SB will fold a weak queen, or if you're worried about a flush draw, especially if you think SB only bets out like that with drawing hands.

(2) Call. This is my choice. Unless SB has a flush draw, if you're beating him he has a maximum of 3 outs. Players tend to fall to pieces a bit on the turn when theyre out of position. Generally they will blink a bit and then bet weak or check wth non-queen hands, while with queens they continue to bet strong.

I think raising immediately is limit thinking. I want to see another card and see what he does next before I decide whether I want to commit with this hand.

Unarmed
10-12-2004, 10:42 AM
He had AK. I swear these low limit guys will slowplay TPWK.