PDA

View Full Version : Qx question/hand

citanul
10-11-2004, 08:24 PM
New to a 5/10 table and the following hand comes up on my BB (first hand). 10 handed.

Preflop
Dealt: Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif
MP1 calls, sb calls, I check.

Flop
3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif
SB bets, Hero?

So that's the first question, what does Hero do? (Rather, I guess what should Hero do is more like it...)

Next question, does your answer change and how, if:

MP1 had limped UTG instead?
MP1 had limped in LP instead?
There are n non-SB limpers, where N is a number bigger than 1.

What actually happened, in white:
<font color="white">
Hero folded, Limper called.
Turn 7c. Bet, call.
River 9c. Check, bet, call.
SB shows Q2o, beating limper's A4o. </font>

Thoughts?

citanul

citanul
10-11-2004, 09:03 PM
Come on guys, I know it's a boring question, but at least the first one is pretty interesting to me:

One limper, sb completes, you're the bb. 3sb pot, you flop top pair no kicker and sb bets into you. What do you do?

citanul

Rubeskies
10-11-2004, 09:12 PM
Raise, sb will probably bet with any piece of this. If you get 3-bet and there is no draw you can probably fold the turn unimproved. This is a lot easy to do with reads though.

AceHigh
10-11-2004, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So that's the first question, what does Hero do?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is the pot is small and you have a player left to act behind you and no reads on the small blind or the limper. If either of you opponents has a Q you are likely behind and don't have pot odds to call. Since you don't know your opponents you should probably fold.

A little opponent knowledge can quickly change the equation.

citanul
10-11-2004, 11:54 PM
Well, at least it appears that this might be interesting, since there's now two people who have responded and they say completely different things. Well, hopefully there will be a couple more responses.

citanul

StellarWind
10-12-2004, 11:20 AM
This is a 3-handed, unraised flop. Any pair is likely to be the best hand and very often no one has made anything.

Accordingly, as SB I will bet any pair, flush draw, OESD, and even a weaker draw like K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (gutshot+overcard+backdoor flush).

You need to play this way because you want to win your fair share in these situations. Someone who waits for a queen to play will never win anywhere near 1/3 of these pots. Everyone else will steal him blind. And of course if I am going to play from SB, I'm going to bet. I don't want to be checkcalling in a 3-bet pot. Nor do I want to give freecards when my A3 is the best hand.

Now that we've considered how SB should play, how do you think I feel about folding top pair when an unknown SB bets? That's right, it's horrible. Raise to take control and try to force the limper out of the pot.

You cannot be a winning player against good competition if you give away all the tiny pots unless you have a lock.