PDA

View Full Version : KQo UTG

AdamL
10-11-2004, 08:02 PM
I put MP3 on a worse king, probably KT or KJ. I put MP1 on a flush draw, thought he probably hit it on the river and was ready to pay him off.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks.

Turn: (2.66 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

River: (11.66 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.66 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 14.66 BB, between MP1, MP3 and Hero.</font>

Rubeskies
10-11-2004, 08:04 PM
Raise preflop, KQ is a g00t hand.

I think your turn 3-bet is a bit laggy. But once you did, why not bet the river? Fear not the backdoor flush.

pokerkai
10-11-2004, 08:18 PM
Bet the river

AdamL
10-11-2004, 08:24 PM
Hmm, that's wierd. I would have swore I did bet that river... and then called a raise. Wierd. Very wierd.

Maybe I was trying to induce bluffs? My memory of this river is different than what is showing above - lol.

AdamL
10-11-2004, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop, KQ is a g00t hand.

I think your turn 3-bet is a bit laggy.

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes the 3-bet laggy? Obviously that's a pretty table specific thing. At Party is it the possibility of being reverse dominated or playing against a slowplayed monster?

I want to talk a bit about the preflop.

I always used to play this hand for a raise in the situation above (UTG, reasonably tighter after a raise table) until I decided that I made more money by calling. I'd like to check the reasoning behind that decision:

When I limp with this hand at Party, I find I get more dead money in the hand. I also don't get toyed around with if the flop is raggedy, which means I have a better chance of winning unimproved on the flop, as well as seeing a turn or river.

When I raise preflop UTG and if an ace or king flops, often my opponents will fold to a bet.

Thoughts?

Rubeskies
10-11-2004, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At Party is it the possibility of being reverse dominated or playing against a slowplayed monster?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and the fact that most players are passive. When they raise the turn they generally have something. Most are content to call down with something you beat here. There is a chance he his his lone king. But other hands that he would raise here are two pair or a set (I forgot if there were straight possibilites).

[ QUOTE ]
When I limp with this hand at Party, I find I get more dead money in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll call, they are fish. Would you rather get 2 opponents in for 2 bets or 3 opponents in for 1 bet? (hypothetical situation) If they want to call they probably will.

[ QUOTE ]
I also don't get toyed around with if the flop is raggedy, which means I have a better chance of winning unimproved on the flop, as well as seeing a turn or river.

[/ QUOTE ]

You want to raise to take control of the hand to possibly take it down on the flop or turn if everybody misses.

[ QUOTE ]
When I raise preflop UTG and if an ace or king flops, often my opponents will fold to a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

They will more likely fold if you raised preflop.

On top of all of this, KQ has pot equity so you want to get money into the pot.

bernie
10-12-2004, 04:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When I raise preflop UTG and if an ace or king flops, often my opponents will fold to a bet

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is because of how they see you play, you may not be raising with enough hands in this spot.

If not, they may be folding on the flop when they should be calling. Which is good.

b

xxxxx
10-12-2004, 08:42 AM
I like to raise with two of the top three cards so that they can't put me on an ace or a big pair when I preflop raise. But UTG I dunno.

My read is the same as yours. Worse king. It's possible someone has two pair, kings and rags, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I wouldn't discount a runner-runner flush because it was checked through on the flop. He didn't pay any money to see the turn card.

Festus22
10-12-2004, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I want to talk a bit about the preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising or calling K-Qo, A-Jo or A-Ts from EP in a somewhat tight game doesn't make that much difference. I believe there's a passage in SSHE that addresses this very issue. The topic gets more verbiage than it should so I guess I'll stop typing now so as not to add more.

sthief09
10-12-2004, 09:28 AM
there are a lot more hands that MP3 could have that have you crushed than there are ones you beat. 22, 55, 88, K2, K5, K8